Was it Worth it?

WGI

Reaction score
I just bought an iMac G5 but not yet recieved it. Its 17" 2.16Ghz intel core 2 duo. I love macs but I have read in other posts on this site that the G5 has problems. Was it worth getting it. I think so but after reading these posts maybe not. Can anyone reinforce this, are the G5s not very good, whats the deal, do the G5s really have problems?

Thanks for your input.

Reaction score
The Intel Core2Duo isn't a G5. G5 is the processor and has been since replaced by the Intel C2D.

Don't jinx yourself into believing that your new Mac will come with inbuilt faults just waiting to surface and wreck your overall Mac experience.

Just enjoy your new mac when it comes, try to learn as much as you can from forums such as this before needing help.

There is so much info at your fingertips and preventative medicine is a proven winner.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Pluse-8 said it very well! Enjoy your new iMac. It's a nice machine. I know of no known flaw on the Intel iMacs. A person here or there might have some issues but there is no widespread problem at all.

The G5 is a Power PC CPU and has not been around for over a year. I have the last iMac with the G5 and it's been faultless for way over a year now 24 hours a day use also!

OP
W

WGI

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I will enjoy my Mac I'm sure of it since I just moved from the PC dark side. But the waiting is killing me, 3 weeks till my mac arrives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Intel Macs run programs designed for Intel processors the best. They are known as Universal Binary programs (there's a blue yin and yang symbol on the packaging).

Older programs such as Photoshop CS 2 run through emulation software called Rosetta. This is invisible, so you won't even know it's there. These programs might run slower than you might expect sometimes, but on the whole there's nothing to worry about.

All programs now being brought out are Intel optimised.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Why is there such a long wait?

I just went in to pick up mine, and whola it was there. I could of ordered it off the net and it still would of been dispatched within 24 hours!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20in C2D iMac, base model. 30gb Video iPod.
There is a flaw with all of the new C2D iMac systems (including mine as well as many many angry users as you'll see on Apple's own discussion forums) - the airport card that is built in is the new Broadcom chipset (which includes 'pre-N' technology, albeit disabled currently) and the wireless performance when compared to any intel-based PC or PPC mac is absolutely dire. So be aware of that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
Thanks for the input. I will enjoy my Mac I'm sure of it since I just moved from the PC dark side. But the waiting is killing me, 3 weeks till my mac arrives.

3 weeks !

where u getting it from?

normaly its 1week

OP
W

WGI

Reaction score
It said 3 weeks on the apple.ca web site but now it says it has been shipped. FedEx says it'll be at my house tomorrow. So apple really over estimated the shipping time.

What can I do about the airport, Is it inevitable that my new iMac will have an airport problem. Can the problem be fixed is really what I'm asking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20in C2D iMac, base model. 30gb Video iPod.
Different people are getting different results. I've been forced to invest in a USB wifi dongle (a ralink one that has osx drivers) because I'm heavily affected by the problem, however a friend of mine who only uses her connection for basic web browsing does experience the same problems but isn't so bothered by them. Whereas I download a lot of stuff, it affects me as well as my work.

I've no doubt that the problem can (and eventually will) be fixed, but Apple have yet to officially acknowledge that there's an issue, so it may not be any time soon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.