• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Speech on Macs

Reaction score
Iam giving a speech on Mac's. Its a persuasive speech to show how Macs are better then PCs. I pretty much have all the info i need already but am posting to see if you guys have any extra stuff to throw out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
But Macs aren't better than PC's. Macs are PC's (Personal Computers).

If your argument is based on Mac OS vs. Windows, then still... one is not 'better' than the other. Each has its own high points and shortcomings.

Persuassive speeches aren't about comparing one thing to another, they are about persuading someone to share your views. My suggestion would be to not compare one to the other to make one appear "better", but rather focus on the high points of Macs and the Mac OS. Those high points are the reason you like Macs and the Mac OS, so those are the points you want to focus your speech on. Turning the speech into a point/counterpoint against Windows is not going to be as effective.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Iam giving a speech on Mac's. Its a persuasive speech to show how Macs are better then PCs. I pretty much have all the info i need already but am posting to see if you guys have any extra stuff to throw out there.

Without knowing what you already have, it's hard to know what to add. I agree with what D3v1L80Y says, but it doesn't help you really.

Here are the main advantages of an OS X Mac over a Windows based computer

- Security. Macs are inherently more secure than Windows based machines for 3 main reasons
1) Unix based operating systems have more levels of security by default, because you need explicit confirmation from the admin user to change certain system files
2) There are virtually no viruses written for macs. I am not sure why this is, but poor old Microsoft are targeted far more heavily as are Windows reliant corporations.
3) Internet Explorer. This is a huge hole in the Windows OS, which lets everything and anything in on most people's machines. Of course this can be mitigated by using Opera or Firefox

- Fewer hardware configurations. OS X is written for a handful of hardware configurations over which Apple has almost complete control (if you exclude external devices). If you take 10 average windows PCs, they'll probably have at least 100 combinations of CPU, Motherboard, gfx card, HDD, Audio hardware and monitor. This generally means OS X is more stable and you are less reliant upon 3rd party hardware vendors keeping drivers up to date and bug free.

- Stability. Keep a WinXP machine up for a few weeks without a reboot and see what happens. Complete crashes are now rare (believe it or not) but the machine will get very slow after a few days without a reboot. OS X won't do this.

- Faster. IMO, OS X is faster than Windows, like for like simply because a windows machine is usually bogged down with far more services and background applications keeping everything stable.

- Memory management. Install 4 gigs of RAM on an XP machine and it'll be barely faster than one with 1 gig, unless you use a single application that requires a huge amount of memory, such as a video editing application. OS X though will use whatever you give it to cache programmes, searches, indexing your files as you use them and all sorts - meaning memory is never wasted.

- HDD indexing. Search for "picture" on Spotlight and then on WinXP on a 100gig drive. Xp will be searching for a good 10 minutes on a machine that's been used for a few months.

- Interface. OS X just looks nicer.

- Design. Macs are designed to look good. I honestly believe Dells, for example, are designed to look as horrible as possible... and they do pretty well. Sony makes an effort to look "cool" but Windows based machines, especially laptops, fall well short of Apple's standards.

er... that's it for now...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
LoL, pretty much.

Nicely designed PCs, running OS X, with an Apple slapped on it. ;)

OP
A
Reaction score
ok a point i make in my speech is all the software a mac come with. If you had to put a dolar value on it, how much software does the macbook have? 300-500 dollars worth?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
ok a point i make in my speech is all the software a mac come with. If you had to put a dolar value on it, how much software does the macbook have? 300-500 dollars worth?
It is nowhere near that.

Tiger OS X 10.4 = $129.00 US
iLife '06 = $79.00 US

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The purchase price of the OS and iLife like DB pointed out is not much, but to me the Value of the included software is a lot more if you tried to purchase the equivalent software for Windows. iLife is a great deal for $79!

OP
A
Reaction score
I mean if you wanted to make a base line Dell match an Apple with software.

Garage band
Photo Booth/digital camera
iWeb
Comic Life
iPhoto

etc...

OP
A
Reaction score
-Body of speech-
The problem is the Windows based machine. Crashing , viriuses , spyware; all an accepted part of owning a Windows machine. Iam here today to ofer you an alternative. " insert something said about macs buy respected person"

Last year the windows operation system had a registered 15,000 viruses while the mac had zero. Owning a mac means you dont have to run virus scanes or worry that your system may crash from an email you open, Executable ( EXE) files do not work on a mac at all.

All windows machines expericne some fom of malware or spyware. This is one more thing that requires windows users to scan for , and update for monthly. With a mac you dont have to worry about this probelm, you can spend you time doing computer things and not time doing computer FIXING things.

DLL * * ** is a tern that refers to a problem with DLL file on windows machine. In an application if just one DLL file become corrup , the whole application goes down.

---------------

please corect any information you see wrong

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Right click on an application, navigate to Contents > MacOS. You'll see a small black icon that says "Executable". Just because Macs can't run EXEs, doesn't mean they don't run Executables.

OP
A
Reaction score
can you explain this better?

OS X is written for a handful of hardware configurations over which Apple has almost complete control. If you take 10 average windows PCs, they'll probably have at least 100 combinations of CPU, Motherboard, graphics card, HDD, Audio hardware and monitor. This generally means OS X is more stable and you are less reliant upon 3rd party hardware vendors keeping drivers up to date and bug free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Owning a mac means you dont have to run virus scanes or worry that your system may crash from an email you open---------------

please corect any information you see wrong
Wrong.
If you have a Mac on a cross-platform network then you would be wise to install a virus scanner. While the majority of viruses are designed to infect Windows and they won't harm your Mac, your Mac can pass the virus to another machine on the network running Windows and infect it.

Macs can and DO crash. There are absolutely NO computers that are "crash-proof".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz
It is true that there are currently more viruses to be found for Windows machines than for Macs. So what can we conclude from that? This is a issue that will continued to be examined as Apple gains more marketshare. As Macs become more widely used, will blackhat code writers be content to let this ever-growing target pass them by?

Companies that are able to focus and specialize on a single element of bringing the experience to the user often have greater success. Take firefox for example. It has left IE in the dust. Of course, Microsoft has answered that with IE7, but it has taken some time. Apple is also able to focus their energy on specific hardware configurations. If Microsoft had been making their own hardware for 20+ years also, we would be having a different conversation.

Also, the competition that Microsoft and Apple give each other is really quite healthy. As long as they are in the race, they will each work harder to give us the better product.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.