Thunderbird from a tower to a laptop?

Reaction score
I was gonig to try and migrate my Thunderbird email, which lives on my old tower G4, into Eudora on my new laptop (macbook).

This looked like a miserable process, so at this point I just want to get my thunderbird mail from the tower to the laptop, via firewire I guess.

I don't really understand where the actual Emails live on my harddrive. Are they in that Mozilla profile folder set ?

thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I was gonig to try and migrate my Thunderbird email, which lives on my old tower G4, into Eudora on my new laptop (macbook).

This looked like a miserable process, so at this point I just want to get my thunderbird mail from the tower to the laptop, via firewire I guess.

I don't really understand where the actual Emails live on my harddrive. Are they in that Mozilla profile folder set ?

thanks...

Yep
~/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/xxxxxxxx.default/

Then a file called mail. Renaming it to mail.mbx sometimes helps with importing, although I have never used eudora. Can I ask why you'd go from Thunderbird to Eudora?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
To migrate all of Thunderbird just copy the entire ~/Library/Thunderbird directory

OP
J
Reaction score
Can I ask why you'd go from Thunderbird to Eudora?

Eh, I probably won't now. But I find that the email formatting options for HTML aren't that swell. I send out promotional emails for various things ... I like em fancy ... :D

And I like Eudora's separate windows too.

PS. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Eh, I probably won't now. But I find that the email formatting options for HTML aren't that swell. I send out promotional emails for various things ... I like em fancy ... :D

And I like Eudora's separate windows too.

PS. Thanks!

You're welcome.

Mail is quite good, but I assume you've already decided against that. I moved to Entourage... not sure if it was a great idea, but Thunderbird has very little integration into your address book/calendar etc so I don't use it. I used it under windows for about 4 years though.

OP
J
Reaction score
I was using Entourage the first day I had my computer and rather liked it, but it seemed like I'd be eating snowcones in heck before I ever got my Thunderbird email migrated into it ... ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was using Entourage the first day I had my computer and rather liked it, but it seemed like I'd be eating snowcones in heck before I ever got my Thunderbird email migrated into it ... ?

It's actually easy - but you need to rename your thunderbird mail file to mail.mbx. Then just drag it into Entourage. Simple!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.