Dreamweaver replacement?

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't know if this should go here or in the software reviews!

I recently bought an intel Mac. I rushed into it, and didn't realize I couldn't run Classic anymore. :eek: Since DW was the only classic program I was still hanging on to, I threw in the towel with regard to trying to run OS 9. **

Anyhow, I only own a version of Dreamweaver that runs in OS 9. I can't afford the new Dreamweaver!

Any recommendations for some afordable software? Is that iWeb any good? Looks kinda campy ...

Thanks in advance for your help.

** I did try to use SheepShaver to run OS9 (out of principle at least!) but I still get “This program will not run on your computer” when I use SheepShaver for the first time and try to launch the OS 9 install. GRR!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
iWeb is great, if you want a really simple site with basic templates. If you want something a little more involved... I have just the thing for you.

Nvu

http://www.nvu.com/index.php

I have not yet used it on OS X, but I used it on Windows and it's great. It is almost as powerful as Dreamweaver, way better than Frontpage (not that you'd use it) and has both WYSIWYG and more advanced HTML authoring capabilities. There is probably very little you could want to do, and not be able to do on this.

There is no Intel version yet, but it may work under Rosetta. Perhaps you should try it?

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks! I think I'll give it a try. The price is right too :)

Do you use the FTP feature? Currently using Cyberduck ...

Yes, Frontpage is the worst evah!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Thanks! I think I'll give it a try. The price is right too :)

Do you use the FTP feature? Currently using Cyberduck ...

Yes, Frontpage is the worst evah!

For FTP I use Fetch. It's very nice, easy to use and has a great Dock Icon.

OP
J
Reaction score
I ended up getting Go Live (thank you education discount!)

I love it so much. Even better than Dreamweaver I think!

Unfortunately NVu isn't out yet for intel macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
I personally hate WYSIWYG web editors and think they are responsible for a lot of bad code out there. For me a good text editor with syntax highlighting, FTP and find / replace features are all I need.

Since getting my Mac I'm using TextWranger - which free from Bare Bones software. It does all that and more.

Reaction score
I've just got a Mac. So far I'm finding Textmate, CSSEdit 2.0 and fetch are all I need for HTML/PHP, CSS and FTP respectively. Such a breath of fresh air coming from a Windows environment let me tell you!! Expose rocks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.