Access a Network

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM
I have a question... I am on a wireless network at my school, and I want to be able to access my school's server from my computer on the wireless connection. Is there any way I can do this? I open up the network tab in finder where it usually lists all the computers on my home network, but on the school network it doesn't show anything. How can I access the computers on the schools network? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2 Ghz C2D, 2 Gb RAM, 120 Gb Hd, 2 gig black nano
you won't be able to access your schools network from home unless you have a VPN connection of some kind. You basically would use your internet connection from home, then open the VPN client and that would make a tunnel to the schools network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
have you asked any school IT people and they're Mac stupid, or are you just trying to hack?

do you get the internet just not the school server?

can your windows buddies do it?

OP
rift0065
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM
Well the IT people at the school are pretty much stupid when it comes to anything, so yeah basically i am trying to hack. I do get the internet, but not the school server, and as far as I know no one can do it. I tried with my friend's Compaq and got nothing.. but I'm pretty much useless when it comes to networking on PCs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
There is probably a good reason why nobody can do it. Not many schools that I know of are going to allow open access to their servers. If you absolutely need permission/access to the server, then contact the IT department and explain why when you request it... otherwise, you aren't going to gain access and shouldn't be trying to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.