FTP server

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 imac 500mhz and 266mhz, ipod mini
Hey I have 10.4.8 how would I go about setting up and FTP server that can be accesed outside my local network IE not an address with 192.168.1.XXX. Do I have to purchuse a copy of Tiger Server? or are there apps that can do this for me, or unix commands?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
I think what you are looking for is this....
Goto: System Preferences ---> Sharing ---> FTP Access then Enable that.

Well if want a Domain Name then you'll have to register it and then forward it to your Static IP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Do the response to enable the ftp service.

You can get a free DynDNS account from DynDNS that will allow your (probably) dynamic internet IP to be auto updated to reflect changes. For instance, when your home IP changes, the dyndns daemon running on your mac tells the dyndns servers to change the ip for yourftpserver.dyndns.com.

Make sure if you have a router that you use the port forwarding feature to pass through traffic on port 21 (ftp)to your mac. Keep in mind that all ftp traffic is unsecured and all passwords a transfered in plain text.

If that is an issue try sftp, or ftp over ssh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I would also recommend the excellent PureFTPManager package, which is freeware and a very good and easy to use FTP server for Mac (and, as it turns out, for unix and Linux too).

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 imac 500mhz and 266mhz, ipod mini
Okay thanks but just to respond to BIG D that feature only allows local connections

Reaction score
Probably need to forward port 80 on your router to the ip address of your machine on your inner network

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.