mac mini display question

B

benfrancis

so, i am planning on getting a mac mini to use strictly for video and audio editing, so as i can keep my imac for everything else. my question is, is there ANY way i can use the keyboard, display, mouse etc; from my iMac g4 as the keyboard display and mouse for my mac mini. there is a video jack on my iMac, but i think it might be a video out rather than a video in.
thanksss

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I believe that there is a product called Apple Remote Desktop that might allow you to run the Mini through the iMac. Not quite what you want, but pretty close.

However, I think that your general concept may not please you when you get it all together. Audio and video editing are pretty CPU intensive and the Mini isn't a really beefy machine. Why would you want to move that function in particular off of the iMac? You may find it unsatisfactorily slow on the Mini. Perhaps you should do it the other way around - keep the iMac exclusive for editing and use the Mini for everything else?

OP
B

benfrancis

i'm just thinking that the duo core processor would be better than the g4 i have in my iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Ahhh, you are right. I was assuming you had an Intel Mac. My bad. You are right, it would likely be beefier and hence faster.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.