external hardrive recommendations?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
You don't say what type of Mac of you have, but that might be germaine as well - you want something that complements your Mac too. That might help you select a manufacturer; then you can start looking at speeds and feeds.

In general, I would look for speed and size. For speed, make sure you get at least Firewire, and Firewire 800 if your Mac supports it. Then make sure that it is a 7200 RPM (or faster if you can find it) drive. Finally, go for the lowest seek time spec you can find. For size, 250 GB seems to be the standard norm now, and I am sure that this would do you well for quite a while. However, 500 GB drives are starting to hit good price points now, since 750 GB seems to be the new high end. So, if you can afford it, I would go for a 500 GB drive.

One niggly little question though... with all that storage holding your videos, how are you going to back up your work? Do you need two of these drives perhaps?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.