is bootcamp my best bet? (gaming)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
so, one thing i miss about my old windows, e-hem, desktop replacement hp notebook, was it's ability to play "sim" type games rather well.

as you can see to the left, i've got a decent macbook, but even if i run bootcamp will i be able to run these games that i've already got for windows:

sim city 4 + rush hour expansion
sims 2
civilization 4
tropico

i did buy sim city 4: rush hour for mac, but it creeeeeeps along even on a small map with a small population on moderate detail/effects.
i also bought tropico 2 for mac, and this seems to run ok, but it does crash after about an hour or so of play.

should i expect any better performance running the games under windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
IMO, the MacBook is crippled by only allowing the GMA950 64MB of RAM. I have Civ IV (Mac version) and it's really S L O W

I don't thnk it was entirely necessary for Apple to create such a gulf between the MB and the MBP in the gfx rendering department... but they did and we have to live with it. The MB is no gaming machine, so to enjoy the odd game of Civ or even Sims 2 at a decent frame rate, you need to spend the extra $1000.

This is my only real criticism of Apple's marketing of these machines... but I'll live.

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
maybe i'll just try crippling the effects and such on sc4 and see if at least runs ok. i don't mind it looking a bit ugly, i may just not be able to do the vehicle missions.

i wonder, maybe if i create a second logon specifically for gaming and then make it run next to nothing extra (disable airport, widgets, etc) just to keep it lean and mean, if that might help?

[edit]at least i have a ps2 - thank god![edit]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz
Something to consider

I also have a Macbook with 1 gig of RAM, when I boot into Windows I have about 200 MB or more free RAM than I do in Tiger.

I have Halo on both the Windows and Tiger sides. There is a severe shortage of free RAM when I play in Tiger! It starts to rely on Virtual Memory instead. The Windows version of Halo has no memory shortage.

So that's something to think about until you can put in more RAM.

Also, some games such as Age of Empires 3 (for Windows) simply won't run right with out a dedicated video card.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.