Pulling the trigger, maybe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
With the release of the core2duo I am hoping to grap a black mac book when the local retailers drop their prices.

Questions:

This machine will replace 3 computer, ibook (mobile, couch) PC Desk (work, palm sync, surf) PC laptop (Demo, teaching)

1, Bootcamp or parrells?

2, Will xp see the isight and usb ports?

3, Will the mini dvi to vga from my ibook work or do I need a new one?

4, Is it possible to buy a second charger? (one office "dock" one living room, mobile)

5, Anything else I need to consider when running window for about 25% of the time?

daryl

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
This machine will replace 3 computer....... Anything else I need to consider ?
Personally, as convenient as it may seem, I am not one who sees the benefit of "puttin all of my eggs into one basket". :black:

A machine used for work is just that, for work.
A machine used for lesiure is just that, for fun.

When multiple machines are needed/used, it is best (in my professional opinion) to keep it that way.
What if something were to "go wrong" with something while you are playing around on non-work related things? The whole computer could become affected, thereby depriving you the ability to get things done for work as you only have one computer. The same thing happens when you reverse the situation... no computer to play around with when something tanks while you are working. It isn't a matter of having backups (as I am sure any responsible computer user has), it is a matter of having a machine to work/play on.
If you would like to get a new MacBook, then I would suggest that you get it to replace the Mac you already have and continue to use your existing "work computers" for work.
:black:

Just my two cents. :)

OP
boneheadz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Personally, as convenient as it may seem, I am not one who sees the benefit of "puttin all of my eggs into one basket". :black:

A machine used for work is just that, for work.
A machine used for lesiure is just that, for fun.

When multiple machines are needed/used, it is best (in my professional opinion) to keep it that way.
What if something were to "go wrong" with something while you are playing around on non-work related things? The whole computer could become affected, thereby depriving you the ability to get things done for work as you only have one computer. The same thing happens when you reverse the situation... no computer to play around with when something tanks while you are working. It isn't a matter of having backups (as I am sure any responsible computer user has), it is a matter of having a machine to work/play on.
If you would like to get a new MacBook, then I would suggest that you get it to replace the Mac you already have and continue to use your existing "work computers" for work.
:black:

Just my two cents. :)

Very, very points, in fact very similar to why I have 4 computers. Okay, here is more on my logic. (this may sound better in my head) I have an imac (intel coreduo 17 inch) in my studio. The ibook is my "fun" and mobile computer. It does a little bit of everything, office, some production and demos The only reason I have an old (celeron 2.8) on the desk is I am addicted to outlook and my palm tx. I have considered leaving the 2.8 on the desk but **** it is so slow in the morning (usb 1, syncing palm and ipod each morning take 10 minutes). The only reason I have the PC labtop is because when I teach I need to demostrated software and processes on window and Mac. (hauling 2 laptops and a bunch of audio equipment sucks.) The idea is to get one computer for mobile work, demos (win and mac), and couch surfing. The imac will handle the studio work. (My real job is part time and the computer makes it easy but really the palm with docs to go can handle everything.

If the macbook was to go down I would have the imac and visa-versa. Also the Celeron will stick around just incase

bone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Questions:

This machine will replace 3 computer, ibook (mobile, couch) PC Desk (work, palm sync, surf) PC laptop (Demo, teaching)

1, Bootcamp or parrells?

2, Will xp see the isight and usb ports?

3, Will the mini dvi to vga from my ibook work or do I need a new one?

4, Is it possible to buy a second charger? (one office "dock" one living room, mobile)

5, Anything else I need to consider when running window for about 25% of the time?

daryl

Hey Daryl,

In answer to your questions:

1. Depends on what you're doing. I used both and I *hated* BootCamp because of the fact I had to reboot every single time I wanted to switch environments. If you're planning on gaming, then BootCamp is your best bet, otherwise I'd suggest Parallels. I am a huge fan of Parallels (we do our final production of the podcast in Audition under XP under Parallels) and recommend it in a second.

2. iSight, no. USB ports, yes.

3. The external video connector is different on the MacBook than the iBook. You'll need to buy a new one.

4. A second charger is a must. (For me, anyway.) Yes, they're available. You can use the MacBookPro AC adapter on the MacBook as well in the event they're out of stock.

5. Nope. The only hazard I've run into with running XP on my MacBook are the various items that fly at my head whenever my fiancee hears Windows noises emanating from my "should-be-pristine-and-free-of-Windows" MacBook.

For what it's worth, I consolidated three PCs-- my main desktop XP machine, a secondary XP machine, and a personal ThinkPad laptop-- onto an iBook two years ago and it's worked perfectly for me. When I switched to the MacBook, whatever remnants of what I did on my main desktop machine came over to the Mac.

I do have a notebook PC that I use for my (day job) work, and by company rule I can't put anything personal on it. That's fine with me, because I don't need to carry it with me all the time and if I need to access my office environment I have VPN access which works perfectly through-- drumroll, please -- my MacBook.

My vote would be for consolidation.

Best of luck!

Joe

OP
boneheadz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Daryl,

1. Depends on what you're doing. I used both and I *hated* BootCamp because of the fact I had to reboot every single time I wanted to switch environments. If you're planning on gaming, then BootCamp is your best bet, otherwise I'd suggest Parallels. I am a huge fan of Parallels (we do our final production of the podcast in Audition under XP under Parallels) and recommend it in a second.

3. The external video connector is different on the MacBook than the iBook. You'll need to buy a new one.

4. A second charger is a must. (For me, anyway.) Yes, they're available. You can use the MacBookPro AC adapter on the MacBook as well in the event they're out of stock.

5. Nope. The only hazard I've run into with running XP on my MacBook are the various items that fly at my head whenever my fiancee hears Windows noises emanating from my "should-be-pristine-and-free-of-Windows" MacBook.

Best of luck!

Joe

Thanx Joe

I am hoping that the only time I will use windows is when teaching. As for your hazards, I've heard that she can get a bit edgy :)

dam on the connector though.

bone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're right. She needs an outlet. Maybe we need to cut our break short. :)

OP
boneheadz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
<sigh> they all need an outlet don't they.

What about bluetooth in XP?

daryl

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bluetooth isn't supported in Parallels yet. I've seen some kludgey workarounds, but they're more trouble than it's worth at this point.

OP
boneheadz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bluetooth isn't supported in Parallels yet. I've seen some kludgey workarounds, but they're more trouble than it's worth at this point.

Too bad, I was hoping to sync the palm without wires making "docking" easier. I am waiting for the price drop. I only want to deal with London Drugs in Canada, but they only have two black ones in calgary but still priced at 1649.00 Hoping for 1249.00

daryl

Reaction score
iSight and USB (High speed)

Hello all,

Quick questions:
1. If iSight is not yet supported, how come it is an option on the menu on parallels. (just wondering why they would set that as an option)
2. USB is supported, however, I believe it is only supported as a 1.1 version and not the high speed 2.0 version. Anyone experience this?
I was trying to run a usb2.0 TV Box and it tells me that it requires a high speed usb port. Any ideas?

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

CC

Hey Daryl,

For what it's worth, I consolidated three PCs-- my main desktop XP machine, a secondary XP machine, and a personal ThinkPad laptop-- onto an iBook two years ago and it's worked perfectly for me. When I switched to the MacBook, whatever remnants of what I did on my main desktop machine came over to the Mac.

I do have a notebook PC that I use for my (day job) work, and by company rule I can't put anything personal on it. That's fine with me, because I don't need to carry it with me all the time and if I need to access my office environment I have VPN access which works perfectly through-- drumroll, please -- my MacBook.

My vote would be for consolidation.

Best of luck!

Joe

OP
boneheadz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello all,

Quick questions:
1. If iSight is not yet supported, how come it is an option on the menu on parallels. (just wondering why they would set that as an option)
2. USB is supported, however, I believe it is only supported as a 1.1 version and not the high speed 2.0 version. Anyone experience this?
I was trying to run a usb2.0 TV Box and it tells me that it requires a high speed usb port. Any ideas?

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

CC

I ended up with a white coreduo, then returned it and got a black core2dou with 1 gig, love it.

Anyway, I run window in boot camp and the isight seems to be supported. I haven't tried any apps but it shows up and works in explorer.

USB seems fast. I run all web surfing in xp through an ipod using firefox portable with no lag or problems.

I haven't tried bluetooth but it seems to show up.

I ended up barely using windows. I thought I would continue using outlook with my palm and for my work email but I use mail, ical, address and sync palm notes with Soho (not well though) I maybe pop into windows once a week. but everything seems to work just fine.

daryl

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.