iChat not connecting

Reaction score
New to Mac. I can't connect to my existing AIM account using iChat. I get an error:

Could not connect to AIM
The connection to the host was unexpectedly lost.

I am using a linksys router and have opened all ports to my iMac. This has never worked. I can't find anything in a search. Can someone please help? Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I wish I could help you both, but iChat here works with my AIM account every time and on all my Macs. Hope someone can help you.+

The only time I have had that connect issue is when there were server problems with AIM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 ghz 1.25 RAM 60 GB
I'm using Adium - it's great - it combines AIM and MSN onto one program for me.

OP
G
Reaction score
The problem for me seems to actually be AIM as I can't connect with a PC AIM client either. I am using a linksys wireless router behind a linsys wired router with all ports open on both. So this is not a specific mac issue. Either wireless or home internet problem. No one can help?

M

MacHeadCase

Look up this website, iChat FAQs, the answer must be there, it's pretty thorough in going through all the problems chat apps may have.

Edited to add:

BTW, AIM works for me at the moment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.