Macbook random shut downs

Reaction score
Anyone else have this happening? I took my comp to the apple store and they said it was the heatsink and replaced that. Then I got the firmware update and it's still happening. Probably like once or twice a day. What the heck is up with this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
does it just turn off or does it give you a reason why and then turn off... normally the firmware just fixes it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
If the firmware doesn't fix it, then it's not the "usual" reason for the problem. It may be the battery or something else. Either way, send it back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I had the problem with my MacBook (purchased in June '06, problem started in October). I took it to the Apple Store and they replaced the heat sink-- no problems since then (fingers crossed).

The firmware fix came out about a week after I got the computer back. Of course, I applied it.

I'm with Pulse-8: get the machine back to the Apple Store ASAP.

There are lots of sites dedicated to this problem: just Google "MacBook Random Shutdown" and take your pick.

OP
D
Reaction score
So do you think they'll give me a new computer and if so, will I get the new coreduo 2 macbooks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
No they will fix or replace the faulty parts. They will not give you a new macbook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.