Macbooks and a non-intel video card?

S

SilverBlade

Will the Macbook series (not Macbook Pro) ever get a better video card then the Intel integrated one?...that's pretty much the only reason why, if I ever get a Mac, I'll always avoid Macbooks because their video cards suck, where the Macbook Pro Video cards, are pretty good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Your reason is the exact reason why they will probably keep it this way. You want a powerful video card, then go for the pro series. The MacBook is fine for most people

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I would be very surprised if they did get non-integrated video cards. They don't have them now for the same reason they don't have backlit keyboards, a 15" screen and any other feature of the MacBook Pro... they are consumer level machines. These are the big differences that separate the two lines of notebook and likely won't change unless the MacBook Pro gets something "bigger and better" first.:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
The ibooks had non intergrated video, crap but non intergrated just the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
The ibooks had non intergrated video, crap but non intergrated just the same.

Exactly - even my iBook G3 had an ATI R7500, which is probably faster than the Intel G950 in some ways.

I think it's a shame the MacBook doesn't get an ATI or nVidia card... even an FX5200 would have been better. I'd like to play some games, like Civ IV and Sims II, but still have a small machine (13"). Apple doesn't offer this. Also, there should be no reason why the difference in price between an entry level MacBook and one with e decent video card is almost $1000.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The very last iBook with a Radeon 9550 will not play 1080p video without missing so many frames the video is unwatchable. The Macbook and even Mini with the Intel GMA 950 plays it PERFECTALLY. To me that is a lot more important in a lower priced laptop than whether it will play Doom III at max resolution or not. The Intel Graphics in the Macbook is fine for most uses and people. It's a lot better than some think it is. If you want better, as has been said already, get the Macbook Pro.

The only gaming laptops that will play the games I play on my PC are Expensive, Heavy and Hot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
The very last iBook with a Radeon 9550 will not play 1080p video without missing so many frames the video is unwatchable. The Macbook and even Mini with the Intel GMA 950 plays it PERFECTALLY. To me that is a lot more important in a lower priced laptop than whether it will play Doom III at max resolution or not. The Intel Graphics in the Macbook is fine for most uses and people. It's a lot better than some think it is. If you want better, as has been said already, get the Macbook Pro.

The only gaming laptops that will play the games I play on my PC are Expensive, Heavy and Hot.

The video playback point is a very good one. However the problem is that the GMA 950 has been deliberately crippled by only allowing it to access 64MB of RAM, when technically it can address 224MB. The reason Civ IV crawls is not because of the speed of the chip, but the RAM it can access, defined by the architecture.

I am taking it very personally because I play Civ IV on my MacBook and it's really r-e-a-l-l-y s--l--o--w

Sniff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.