iSight, Photo Booth problems and MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8GB iPhone, MacBook Pro (15",2.33 C2D), MacBook (2.0 C2D), 4 iPods (20GB, Mini, Nano, Shuffle)
Today, I encountered a weird error on my MacBook Pro and my (built-in) iSight camera. I started Photo Booth up and the entire photo frame was green. I shut down Photo Booth, but the tiny green LED for the iSight was still illuminated. I started Yahoo Messenger to see how the webcam would behave, and it was completely dark, and not broadcasting anything.

I closed all my applications, and the iSight LED was still lit. Then I rebooted, and the camera LED was lit green right from the log-in screen.

Then I rebooted, and cleared the PRAM (a handy trick in case stuff goes awry, I've learned). Here's the steps:

1) Turn the computer off and wait a second or two.
2) Turn the computer on and immediately hold down the Command, Option, P and R keys. I actually held them down first, then pushed the power button.
3) You'll hear another startup chord sound. You can release all the key presses after you've heard it twice.

My iSight camera and Photo Booth returned to normal after this.

Just wanted to post pre-emptively in case other folks run into the same issue.

Reaction score
do you guys think its any better of a chance in just exchanging my new C2D and getting another one...it seems like I am just as likely to encounter some defects or issues, judging by what seems to be reported by about 2/3 to 1/2 of the new owners.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook, 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 512 MB. first gen ipod nano, 4 gig black
what's the PRAM? I am very computer illiterate and this just happened to me on my macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook, 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 512 MB. first gen ipod nano, 4 gig black
huh.... I just reopened IPHOTO and it's working fine. wierd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Is there a subforum just for problems/solutions on the new C2D's? I haven't had any problems, but I just got mine a couple days ago.

As a new Mac user, I'm very shocked to hear about all these glitches when the main selling point of Mac, and stance of hardcore Apple fans, is that Macs are better than Windows PC's because Windows always has glitches with new rollouts and Mac's are bulletproof from day one!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
I'm having the same problem with my brand new iMac C2D. iSight is very particular about when it wants to work and not. Generally always works in iChat, but in Yahoo, Ispq, Skype, and even photobooth I sometimes have the green light stay on after I exit - or sometimes I get the weird black or green screen at startup of whatever cam program I want to use. After that happens, forget it. It will continue to work in iChat, but black screens everywhere else. I have success with mine in simply doing a shutdown (complete power-off shutdown not just a restart). Still very annoying and buggy in there somewhere.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.