Fax Browser application corrupted - can't open

H

Horatio Street

I'm experiencing, for lack of a better word, a slow Mac meltdown.

#1 - my Address Book was completely wiped-out from one day to the other.

#2 - my Fax Browser application (which is a feature of the Apple Internal Modem package) will not open and I keep getting a crash report each and every time.

To try to remedy problem #2, I reloaded all software from Apple's recovery disk. But that didn't help. The application still will not open and continues to crash.

Does anyone have any suggestion as to how to fix this problem?

:eek:neye:

Reaction score
Have you tried running the maintenance scripts with a program like Onyx. ?

Also run disk utility that can be found in your 'Utilities' folder and repair permissions.

OP
H

Horatio Street

Thanks for responding to my thread.

I don't have "Onyx."

However, I will run my disk utility and see if it helps.

OP
H

Horatio Street

Well ... I ran Disk Utility, but it crashed when it had only a little bit more left to finish and froze-up.

If even Disk Utility is crashing, I know that something really bad is going on in my iBook's entrails.

Reaction score
Yes, that sounds bad. I'd back everything up re-format the harddrive and clean install of the hole system (not recover as that just updates stuff). If that doesn't solve the problem then it will be a hardware problem.

Have you installed any new ram recently. You could try taking out the ram under the keyboard and see if that helps!!!.

P.S Here is a link to the OnyX website. Good idea to run this program once a month to keep your computer healthy. Make sure you download the Panther version and not the one for tiger. The program is free.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/index.html

OP
H

Horatio Street

Thanks for the input.

I did some research since I last posted and discovered that iTunes can cause problems when trying to repair permissions. Apple even suggests that the user physically remove the iTunes package from Library/Receipts and move it to the desktop before running Disk Utility. It's unbelievable that Apple knows there is a problem with their product and has done nothing to correct it.

It didn't help me, though, because my Disk Utility continues to crash just before it finishes its run. I hate to have to do what I know I must do, but I'm going to have to re-install OSX. What a drag.

By the way, I downloaded OnyX and tried to use it to repair permissions, but it also crashed because of the crash problems with my Disk Utility.

So much for the superiority of the Mac. I'm feeling as frustrated and disappointed as I used to feel when I had a Windows PC -- which is why I switched to the Mac system.

Ciao.

Reaction score
Onyx uses the same base system commands to repair permissions as disk utility so if their is a problem then it will crop up with both programs unfortunately. Software problems will always turn up no matter what system your running but I've had next to non since the introduction of OSX. The only time I ever do have problems is when I'm installing a lot of different software to try out. If their is a problem then a clean install is usually the best option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.