Airport problems

B

blindfaith101

airport connection strong but losing bandwidth
10/29/06 02:28 PM
Reply to this post Reply

I'm suddenly experiencing slow connection speeds on one side of my house. This previously hasn't been a problem (I've lived here 2.5 years with the same iBook & router). I always have full connection according to the airport indicator on my iBook menu bar. My router lights are also green when I leave my laptop in that area of the house and go look (green means no problems). BUT when I test my bandwidth, I get VERY different speeds through the house. In the room next to the router, I get 2340 kbps, further down the hall I get 1430 kbps and in the worst spot in my living room I get 340 kbs!!!

Does this mean I need repeaters? Or does this mean that a neighbor is hijacking my bandwidth? Or something else all together?

I appreciate any info.

Reaction score
I also have been wondering if something is wrong with my airport.
I have a macbook with 10.5.5. At home I have an airport express & at work I have a bell canada wireless router.
Some times when I'm at home my computer connects to another unsecured router. When I try to connect to mine "sometimes" it asks for the password, witch already shows up. I hit connect and get a "connection time out" this will go on and on until I unplug and replug the airport express.
Also sometimes when I am connected my computer goes so slow it's stupid witch is fixed by unplugging & replugging the airport unit. I don't think it's the air port because my Iphone works perfectly while this goes on.

At work with the bell router my computer works seamlessly. But my brothers macbook pro 10.5.5 gets kicked off all the time and has to reboot his Wi Fi by shutting the airport off then on. I have never had a problem with my iPhone Wi Fi witch leads me to believe there is a software problem somewhere in 10.5.5 or my brother and I have picked up a bug somewhere.

Is anyone else having this problem or just have an idea about what might be wrong, let me know.

Thanks,
Brad

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.