• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

did i just kill my ibook?

Reaction score
ok, so i was just installing CS2 on my ibook, (600mhz, 30g, 640meg) and when the machine went to sleep after sitting idle, i couldn't get it to wake back up. when i noticed the computer was off, i turned it on, only to see a folder image with an alternating icon (switching from the smiley mac logo to a question mark). *** happened? my ibook is used, and i've only had it for a few days. it's still under warranty, so i can take it in tomorrow to get it looked at, but i got papers i need to write, so if there is anyway i can fix this myself, i'd love to know.

did i just pretty much overload the computer? i've got ms office for mac, CADintosh, and adium installed as well, so i'm wondering if the processor said "forget this" and did something bad.

help!

OP
M
Reaction score
sorry, i thought self-editing the following letters would suffice. won't happen again now that i know.

OP
M
Reaction score
oh, i forgot to mention i'm running tiger. since tiger is a bit memory hungry, should i downgrade to panther? what would i be missing if i downgraded?

could this be part of my problem?

OP
M
Reaction score
turns out it was a hard drive problem. either the hard drive itself took a dump, or the computer isn't recognizing it. hopefully it's the hd itself, so i can get my computer back soon.

the issue is this: i can't afford to replace the hd with a new unit, so the guy at the mac place is throwing in a used unit. since any hard drive has a limited life, do you think i should take the risk and run a used hd, or try and come up with some dough for a new unit (which, i learned, would spin faster than an older unit)?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.