Apps for different users - permissions

Reaction score
I installed a program called alphababy (reviewed in MacWorld) to let my 3 year old play on his restricted account. Using the parental controls, I checked off the program on his account - like I did with other programs). But, it will not show up in his applications. I confirmed it was checked. It also is not working in my 6-year-old's restricted account either.

Why would this program not work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
What parental controls are you using? Are you using the built in ones with OS X or are you using a third-party application for the parental control?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch iMac / Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 gHz / 1 GB RAM / 250gb hd / Black iPod Nano 2nd gen 8gb
If you're familiar with Unix you could just set permissions for various files.

OP
G
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I am not familiar with Unix and I am brand new to the Mac. I just don't understand why the built in permissions work for some apps but not others. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Reaction score
Not sure how much this will help, but here's a (quick) rundown on Unix permissions (Note, I can't do anything Mac-specific yet, as I'm still waiting for mine to come in):

Every file is owned by both a user, and a group, usually following the idea of "admin.root" where "admin" is the user, and "root" is the group. To change this, use the "chown <user>.<group> <file/folder>" from command line. The user specified does not have to belong to the specified group.

Next, we have permissions:

All files & folders have permissions for the user who owns it, the group it belongs to, and everyone else. (See above for user & group) In these sets, we have 3 types: read, write, execute.

Code:
User               | Group              | Others
Read Write Execute | Read Write Execute | Read Write Execute

The command to change these is "chmod <permissions> <file/folder>".

Now, here, the permissions part of the command gts a wee bit complex, but here's a simple breakdown:
"chmod 755 file.ext" would be changing the permissions of "file.ext" to User can read, write, execute (rwx), group is read and execute (r-x), and others can read & execute (r-x).

To make the rest of this clear, this would therefore follow the pattern of:
rwxr-xr-x

if you notice, there are 3 settings for the 3 groups, therefore 9 options total, as there would be 9 letters in the pattern above (hyphens mean that that user cannot do the specified action).

Now, with the 3 numbers in the 755, here is the breakdown (If you know binary, it makes it a lot easier to understand):
Remember that these are all following the idea of rwx
Code:
0 ---
1 --x
2 -w-
3 -wx
4 r--
5 r-x
6 rw-
7 rwx

Now, remember that for nearly any command, you should be able to read the man page on it ("man <command in question>") which will go into more detail, and give you more options for them.

I hope this makes sense. If it doesn't just ask me about it.

Oh, and I hope that none of the Unix-knowing people here comment on my technical omissions (ie: Directory instead of folder, and that directories are, technically, files)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I installed a program called alphababy (reviewed in MacWorld) to let my 3 year old play on his restricted account. Using the parental controls, I checked off the program on his account - like I did with other programs). But, it will not show up in his applications. I confirmed it was checked. It also is not working in my 6-year-old's restricted account either.

Why would this program not work?

What do you mean, "show up in his applications?"

There is the main applications folder, in /Applications, and then there is the user's applications folder, in /Users/username/Applications, and then there's the Dock.

If an app is in /Applications, anyone can see it; but you can only run it if you're not restricted, or if you are restricted but it's checked off.

If an app is in /Users/username/Applications, then only username can run it. It's theirs only.

Applications from either folder can be put in the Dock, so long as the user is allowed to modify the dock. (There's a box for that, too.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.