Never Owned A Mac.....help Me!!

M

mrjonz43

hello to all here, i am new to Macs, never owned one and never handled one. I am thinking of purchasing a Macbook, any suggestions to a newbie about which one to buy, should i start out with a used G3? What should I look for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook CD2.0gz 60gb harddrive, 1.25GB RAM, external 120gb HD, 37" JVC LCD HDTV display via HDMI
I was in the same situation....I just went out and bought a MacBook...i havn't been able to use it yet....but i think that you might as well get the MacBook...from what I hear it is amazing...I can't wait to get started

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The most important thing to do is to follow these steps in this exact order:

1.) Try to get as solid of an idea as you can about exactly what it is that you want a computer to do

2.) Determine if your current computer does this to your satisfaction

3.) If your computer doesn't do this to your satisfaction, then do your research to see if the Mac will do that for you.

If you decide the Mac might be for you, first thing is first. Ask questions, read articles, browse and search this very forum for answers to your inquiries.
Definitely try one out before you buy one. Go to an Apple Retail Store, ask a friend or co-worker who might have one... anything, but try one out first.
If you do get your hands on one, give it a go and get into the applications and such. Get used to the navigation style and the look and feel of Mac OS X.
Forget about how you did things with your previous OS and concentrate on how to do things the Mac way. Don't compare how you did something previously and try to find an equivalent way to do the same thing in Mac OS X.

Learn the new, forget the old... at least while you are running Mac OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Get the best Mac and most up to date Mac you can afford. A G3 will certainly feel sluggish on websites and even general purpose - I know because I still have mine. If you get an old G3, try and get one with Panther (10.3.x) installed. 10.2.x is now poorly supported and 10.4.x is a bit RAM hungry.

Just because you're new to Macs doesn't mean you should get a low end one. You could try a Mini or an entry level Macbook if you wish or even a Quad G5 or Core 2 Duo with a cinema screen. The beauty is which ever you choose, it'll be just as easy to handle as another.

Get at least 1 gig of RAM and as much HDD space as you can afford.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD
I am stumbling through the new OS but am finding it very fun. I was ready for a change and liked what i saw in macs. I got a 1 month old MacBook 2.0 w 1Gig for 1200 used. Bought the applecare and now I should be set for the next 3 years. Get a MacBook! Only thing is now that I got my hands on one I want an iMac too. Its a great platform and my pc knowledge transfered somewhat over here.
I am fixin on gettin a big boy internal hard drive or Xmas and maybe another gig later. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am stumbling through the new OS but am finding it very fun. I was ready for a change and liked what i saw in macs. I got a 1 month old MacBook 2.0 w 1Gig for 1200 used. Bought the applecare and now I should be set for the next 3 years. Get a MacBook! Only thing is now that I got my hands on one I want an iMac too. Its a great platform and my pc knowledge transfered somewhat over here.
I am fixin on gettin a big boy internal hard drive or Xmas and maybe another gig later. ;)

Sounds like you're hooked.

The MacBook is a great place to start. The screen is so gorgeous, it's silly. I saw my photo collection in a whole new light (literally) when viewing on the MacBook (after my 3 year old PC Laptop).

When we buy an apartment with a bit more room, I'll get a nice big fancy desktop Mac... :bushman:

OP
M

mrjonz43

Thanks For The Replies

I appreciate all the replies I have gotten, I am at the apple website and I am thinking of getting the:MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo - White notebook!

Woohoo, will let you know what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD
I hope you waited til today to purchase that sweet MacBook!:)

OP
M

mrjonz43

Wait until today to buy a Mac?

Why should I wait until today to purchase a Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Today they updated the MacBooks to Core 2 Duos.

Newer processors that run a little faster and a little cooler.

OP
M

mrjonz43

Today they updated the MacBooks to Core 2 Duos.

Newer processors that run a little faster and a little cooler.

Thank for the response, but I am sure they will cost a LITTLE more also!

I am working on a budget here, and this is my FIRST Mac. So I will try the duo core and see how I like it, I can always sell it and bump up to Duo Core 2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (black) 2.0 core2, 2gigs ram, 120gig HD / 24" iMac, 2.33 core 2, 2 gig, 256 grapics, 500hd
Same price for the core 2 duo, and a it has the dual layer dvd burner for no extra... I only wish I had waited. But thats Apple's M.O. as soon as you buy, something better comes along right after.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Same price for the core 2 duo, and a it has the dual layer dvd burner for no extra... I only wish I had waited. But thats Apple's M.O. as soon as you buy, something better comes along right after.
:black:
That is the M.O. of any computer/technology manufacturer.
:black:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with DB. It's not just Apple that upgrades their line.

And yes, the new Core 2 Duo MacBooks are exactly the same price with more speed and less heat and a better Superdrive. Very good deal.

Reaction score
lol that happened to my, i ordered my on sunday...and monday they came out with the new core 2 duo LOL...but they gave me the core 2 duo and even gave me $100 back!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 duo
just got mine yesterday

I just got my macbook with c2d. I saw that someone says its supposed to run cooler. But this thing is hot. it gets really uncomfortable on your lap after only a short time. anyone else having this issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just got my macbook with c2d. I saw that someone says its supposed to run cooler. But this thing is hot. it gets really uncomfortable on your lap after only a short time. anyone else having this issue?

Everyone... and the standard response is "it's not a laptop, it's a notebook" - which is true.

Most newer Notebooks get very hot these days. It's the price people pay for insisting on desktop performance in a portable machine.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I once had a friend who I sold my Toshiba Pentium 133 Notebook to who claimed that is was defective because when they put it on a thick blanket, the bottom got so hot!! There was not one thing wrong with the Toshiba by the way. They feit it should be cold. I have never met a COLD notebook!

Notebooks/Laptops have always gotten a bit hot and now with much faster CPU's and smaller and thinner cases there is even more heat.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.