Uninstalling/Reinstalling Java

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook; G4; 1.07 GHz; 512 MB; 30 gig; Combo Drive; Radeon 9200
I wanted to Uninstall and Reinstall Java today, but am having a little trouble. I believe I removed ALL Java files from MacHD. I did this by searching for java in Spotlight and deleted all of the java folders etc. I then tried to reinstall java, but the installer is still telling me that I have java already installed :blind:. Not sure what to do from here. I did a search, but to no avail. Please, if you can help me asap that would be kick ***! Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Also search for JRE and JAR with spotlight, but it will probably come up with many things that have nothing to do with Java.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You haven't really uninstalled Java. Each Mac OS X system contains a built-in Java (version 1.3.1 or later). This built-in Java is also called MRJ 3.x.
It is also important to note this advice from Apple:
Apple said:
3: Can I remove a Java update after I have installed it?
It is important to note that the current release system only includes the most recent release of each supported major version — 1.3, 1.4, and 5.0 on Tiger;— on a single system. In other words, you can not roll a Mac OS X Panther system back to Java 1.4.1 after installing 1.4.2 — the only way to do so is to reinstall the entire system.
Out of curiosity... why did you feel the need to uninstall it in the first place?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
You haven't really uninstalled Java. Each Mac OS X system contains a built-in Java (version 1.3.1 or later). This built-in Java is also called MRJ 3.x.
It is also important to note this advice from Apple:

Out of curiosity... why did you feel the need to uninstall it in the first place?

That's interesting. I have an issue with Java - I use to to connect to my work PC (remote control). On OS X 10.2.8 on my old G3 it was fine on Firefox. On my new Mac (10.4.8) Firefox won't connect, but Safari will. I wonder if this is because Firefox is trying to use Java 1.4.1 and it isn't there? Whereas Safari knows to use the later version?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
That's interesting. I have an issue with Java - I use to to connect to my work PC (remote control). On OS X 10.2.8 on my old G3 it was fine on Firefox. On my new Mac (10.4.8) Firefox won't connect, but Safari will. I wonder if this is because Firefox is trying to use Java 1.4.1 and it isn't there? Whereas Safari knows to use the later version?
This might help:
Apple said:
4: What J2SE version do Java applets run under inside a browser?
Apple’s Safari browser can be configured to run Java applets in either J2SE 1.4 or 5.0 on Tiger systems using the Java Preferences application located at /Applications/Utilities/Java/J2SE 5.0/Java Preferences.app. Safari only supports J2SE 1.4 on Mac OS X 10.2 and 10.3. Other browsers developed to specifically use 1.3.1 will need to be updated to use a newer Java runtime. If you would like to see your favorite browser use J2SE 1.4 or 5.0 on Mac OS X, please contact the vendor and ask them to work with Apple to adopt a newer J2SE version.
That is from the same page as the previous quote I referenced.
The full link is here:

http://developer.apple.com/java/faq/

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have absolutly no more java or java related files on my mac ... If I understand you guys correctly, there is NO way to remove Java? I'm not sure that I understand because if the app files and assoicated files are removed from the system then now is it not uninstalled?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well...I was able to resolve my issue ... I just re-installed os x lol Guess I learned my lesson with java and os x

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.