Broken ibook please advise me on what to do

R

ryanparrish

Hello,

I purchased a 'book 2 years ago and it died 2 months after the factory warranty died of 05 being without a computer for a year as been fustrating. I borrow peoples computers for college papers and I go done to the library for computers it is getting fustrating.

The Scenario

The Power adapter died

Bought A replacement from the apple store

funky things started going wrong for isntance wouldn't start up 100 percent I would get the question mark or the date would be set to defualt then it completly would not turn on

then I pushed the buttons for the PMU resets and PRAM resets I had a friend look over and said the PRAM is dead. He tryed the PMU and PRAM resets as well.

Then I took it down to an authroized appel shop they said the logic board was faulty I did not have any money in the bank to repair or replace it so I put it in a dark closet.

Now I am fustrated how do I get this thing to work I am seeing that it has aged and the parts should be lot less when I first bought it. What are my options? I would like to keep my hard drive because I have pictures and music and software on there that I would like to have access to so I do not really want to switch to another OS right know. I do have technical know how I am going for a BS in Networking and Information security. What are my options can I buy say a broken powerbook from that era and swap in the stuff that is missing such as ram cd drive hard drive power adapter? I have 200 dollars to spend on this project let me know please

:) sorry about the rant because I am kicking my self because I could have put that 1800 somewhere lot more usefull then a computer that lasted for 1 year

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
.....What are my options can I buy say a broken powerbook from that era and swap in the stuff that is missing such as ram cd drive hard drive power adapter? I have 200 dollars to spend on this project let me know please
If it is indeed the logic board that is the culprit, then theoretically the other parts (HD, RAM, optical drive...etc) should work in any other system providing they are all functioning properly. The only roadblock I see you running into is finding a "suitable host" for your existing parts for less than $200. For that price, you are going to have better luck looking for an iBook of equal or lesser specs than the one that you originally purchased. I would also suggest trying a Target Disk Mode file transfer to the new machine before actually gutting it and putting in your existing parts. That way, you still have access to your files and save yourself a whole heap of aggrivation taking an iBook apart, not once... but twice.

:black:

OP
R

ryanparrish

I tried to get my term paper off of this thing with target disk mode with a friend. The problem is that this thing literally does not do anything. I connected a seperate moniter to see if the LCD crapped on me no luck on that. When I push the power button I can hear the hard drive spin for a second then turn off or some times I will hit the power button and the fan will run full tilt till I remove the battery or unplug the wall cord. The lesson is back up the files

OP
J

Jay

Try this item number 220045724616 in eBay for repair service for only $75.
Blessings

OP
R

ryanparrish

Thanks for the suggestion I wonder how they obtain there motherboards I am hoping to find some dullard on ebay which there is allot of and see if I get a system that is broken. I saw a PB with a broken bezel and missing ram hard drive airport card and cd go for 80 bucks the motherboard is worth over 400 dollars! I wish I saw it earlyier then I could have won it :radioacti if they buy a motherboard and charge me the 400 dollars I don't see how I am ahead

Reaction score
did you buy it with an american express card?

perhaps another? if you did, i suggest looking at the terms of service and rewards on the card. if you used it of course.

my amex provides me with an xtra year of coverage after the manufacturers warranty (which is why i'm passing on apple care. 2 years and i'm going to want a new one anyway.)

if your card provides you with insurance after your manu warranty, you're golden!

OP
R

ryanparrish

Yeah I bought it with a debit card no coverage I should have bought the extended warranty :D Thanks for the help in this matter :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.