I Switched!!

C

CupZ

I switched and I'm loving almost every minute of it!! I am having a problem though. I cannot get my wireless internet to work. Do i HAVE to have a Airport Base Station to get wireless interent or can I still use my existing Netgear wireless router? I have WEP enabled and I put the WEP key in and everything.. still, no internet access. The router also sees the mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Does you network have WEP encrpytion? You should try putting a "$" in front of the key. There is a Apple Doc about this on the Apple support site, as a new user I suggest you get familiar with it.

OP
C

CupZ

Yeah My network is WEP encrypted. It is a 128-Bit WEP key and I cannot put a $ in front of the key. I also tryed the WEP Password option with no luck. I have full signal and all the computers can see me. I just cant connect to the internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Ok, I think I misunderstood. You are on the network already but just can't access the internet. Is your router set as a DHCP server or do all the machines on the network have manual IP addresses? My old Netgear had an issue with my Mac and Manual IP's it solved the problem by using an all DHCP solution with no IP reservations. Help will come easier with more info on your network setup.

OP
C

CupZ

My router is set as a DHCP server. I don't have any MAC address blocking or anything like that. I just disabled WEP from my wireless network and I can get on the internet with no problem. So It's something to do with the WEP. I just don't know what yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Hmm... Does your router have any other Encryption options like WPA? You might try that.

OP
W

Who Cares444

I was having the EXACT same problem except that I was using WPA. All I did was switch it to WEP-128 and entered my passcode as a hexadecimal. Worked like a charm.

OP
C

CupZ

WPA works fine. I would rather use WEP. It might be a lost cause or is there something else that I can try?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Why would you rather use WEP, when WPA is a better encryption protocol? You might try resetting your network from the ground up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Make sure you enter your pass key as Hexadecimal, not as the password phrase. I have NEVER got this to work on my router so far.

Also, make sure your router's firmware is up to date.

Reaction score
I wonder if this would be problematic to do, but first try removing encryption and see, then you know where to locate the problem in the first place.

OP
C

CupZ

I fixed it. For some reason 128Bit WEP keys will not work, but 64-Bit ones do. Oh well.. As long as it works i'm fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.