Mini Mac Can't record audio???

T

Tallone

Hi,

I am a New convert to Mac and got a Mini Mac to start with.

I just attached a Creative SD-50 mic to record a voice over but it will not record? I am using garage band and I also tried Toast CD Spin Doctor.

The mic works fine on my PC

I tried changing audio in settings but nothing is working?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tallone

Reaction score
make sure the audio in the app is set use built in microphone not use isight audio

Reaction score
Yep that's the problem many people have. Choose the right Audio Input from your System Preferences> Audio or from within Garageband itself.

I assume you are using the Line-In on your Mac Mini (I'm not sure if it even has one, as it was a reason I didn't buy it...in November 2005...)?

Then you gotta choose the Line-In or it'll be looking for some other source.

If that didn't help, you have to check the settings in Garageband: Did you confogure it as a Real Instrument? Is the mic responsive in the System Prefs but not in Garageband?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
All of the Intel Mac Minis have a combo Line/SPDIF In. The older G4 based Minis were the ones with no audio in of any kind.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Well it seems the Mini Mac has no audio in!!! This was a over sight on my part as I really bought it in a hurry and for a great price.

I just ordered this and hope it will answer my problem

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/

I'll post again if it does.

Tallone

You never stated what Mac Mini you bought. Most figured it was the Intel Mini as that is the current one and HAS an Analog and Digitail audio input. It's the OLD G4 mini that has no audio in. If that is the Mini you have then what you ordered will take care of the problem if your mic is compatible with the input of the Griffin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
the microphone input isnt powerd, so any microphone that needs powere wont work, i have the same problem and asked the same question

OP
J

jorgesep

I bought intel mini mac last June and I have the same problem with mic, Howewer I plugged a earphones in the line-in and it's worked. I tried with three differents mics and any of them worked, but they have worked in a normal PC..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
The mic tallone bought is a standard non-powered one, so plugging it into the Griffin iMic should work just fine.

Just make sure you select the correct input device in System Preferences before you try to use it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.