Someone Help!!!!Going crazy....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook CD2.0gz 60gb harddrive, 1.25GB RAM, external 120gb HD, 37" JVC LCD HDTV display via HDMI
Ok I am new to Mac's and I hope someone can help me with this problem.

I just bought a macbook and it had ONLY Windows XP installed on it. I didn't no this was even possible but I didn't want it on there. I did not get any restore discs but i have the install discs for Panther that I want to install for now.

When i put the install disc in Windows XP keeps butting up (i tried holding down "C") so now I formatted the harddrive but it still has PC-Dos and when I try to load the Panther disc is comes up Mouse not attached and then goes to A: (which has Fdisk, Autoexec, Format, Mouse.....) I switch it to the C: (which is the Panther disc) and try to load any file to start the install...it says Mac disc loaded but any file i try to open says bad or invalid file...

Does anyone know what is going on? I have been at this for days with no luck.
I found the restore discs for a mini mac (which is very close to the macbook specs wise) on ebay that I am thinking about buying to try but I dont even know if that will work and I would rather not buy it if i dont have to...
Thanks for any help....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
You need a copy of OSX for Intel-based Macs for your Macbook.

If you didn't get the restore discs when you bought the computer, you'll need to buy a full copy of OSX Tiger (10.4) from your local Apple retailer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually, you'll have to wait until 10.5 is released or contact apple to buy some restore discs through them.

The current boxed retail versions of 10.4 Tiger are PowerPC only.
10.5. Leopard will be the first off the shelf release that is Universal. (Apart from 10.4 server).

Contact apple and ask if they can supply you with restore discs for your machine. Give them your serial number and explain the situation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Sounds to me like somebody got ripped off.

If you bought this new, then return it. If you bought it used, then I'd contact the seller and get the right disks. There is no reason this thing should not have Tiger install discs. While I can think of one nasty reason. Anyway the advice given above is good.

Intel Macs only run Tiger and newer as far as I recall. I would think that you'll need full install disks, not just the restore disks.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook CD2.0gz 60gb harddrive, 1.25GB RAM, external 120gb HD, 37" JVC LCD HDTV display via HDMI
well I just ordered Mac OS X 10.4.8 Tiger full install for a clean install with no operating system installed....Will this work? i was told that it would work on intel-based macs. I hope that it works **** I just spent over $100 for it.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought the Macbook off a careless friend....I do have the restore discs but they are very damaged and will not load and I can't even make a copy of them.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so is it right for the macbook to boot up with PC-Dos since there is no operating system installed? or does it still somehow have windows firmware or somthing installed that needs to be cleaned out?

is there anyway for me to do a complete format to completely clean the comp?

I am not getting a screen with NTLDR is missing pres ctrl-alt-delete to reset.

Once i get my Tiger discs will it still be able to install? or is there something i need to do to fix this problem first?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
so is it right for the macbook to boot up with PC-Dos since there is no operating system installed?
MS Disk Operating System is just that, an OS. :black:

If you want to get rid of it, you will have to get an Intel version of OS X. Try Aptmunich's suggestion and contact Apple with you situation and see if they can help out.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple;s support is not helping ...the guy suggested i go by a new laptop copy the restore discs and return it...lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Apple;s support is not helping ...the guy suggested i go by a new laptop copy the restore discs and return it...lol

That sounds terribly suspect. I can't believe an Apple employee would tell you to do that.

If you're near an Apple Store, make an appointment at the Genius Bar and tell them the story. They can enter the serial number and verify previous owner, warranty coverage, etc. If this whole deal was on the up and up, it should all be okay and they should be able to set you up with new restore discs.

Reaction score

Don't take the word of one apple support person.

If you don't get the answer you need, ring again and talk to someone else.

Keep ringing until you get someone who will listen sympathetically and offer a positive solution to your situation.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The guy didn't seem to care about my problem....Now I can't get through and I dont want to wait another hour for service....If i can't get through again tomorrow I might take his advice. I can't believe how much trouble it is to just get an OS installed. I am used to windows which is much easier. But I know once I actually get a chance to use this Mac I am going to love it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with caribiner23 suggestion.

Reaction score
The guy didn't seem to care about my problem....Now I can't get through and I dont want to wait another hour for service....If i can't get through again tomorrow I might take his advice. I can't believe how much trouble it is to just get an OS installed. I am used to windows which is much easier. But I know once I actually get a chance to use this Mac I am going to love it.

Don't give up on your mac just yet. Make that appointment and get this sorted out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
One great thing about current macbooks is that they are ALL still under warranty, seeing as they've been out for less than a year. AppleCare should be able to sort something out, but I agree with other posters; get yourself to the Genius bar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
If the disks don't have deep scratches, you might be able to recover using one of those CD recovery tools I've seen in the local Fry's store. They effectively clean the CD surface. A bit risky, but you have nothing to loose if you can't get Apple to cooperate.

Cancel your order. Someone else alreay said that the retail 10.4 disks are PPC only. That will not work on an Intel Mac.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WEll the guy I ordered 10.4 from on eBay said that he will include the disc for Macbook install....so hopefully he knows what he is talking about and it all works out!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.