Run apps as services

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm wondering if there is a way I can have an application running while I'm not logged on. I want my mini to automatically start parallels at boot, but I don't want the mini to automatically log me in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You can add applications to your login items in the Accounts prefpane in System Preferences. That way, it will start up Parallels as soon as you log in.

Unless you choose to log a user in at boot, no special applications will start up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
It might be possible. The new Apple way of performing this type of task is to use Apple's launchd. The old Apple way is to use StartupItems. The Unix way is to create an rc.local file or mess with inetd stuff I think.

You'll have to note if it needs to be started as a particular user other than root I think. You would use something like "sudo -u username <command strings>".

launchd is explained a little bit here. The first two links in the first paragraph seem a good place to start.

StartupItems seem to have a good intro here, but note tip 10 here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.