• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone know about school surplus purchasing??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
Hey guys, I went to a surplus auction today (I live in Tampa, FL) where they said they would have computers purchased from one of the local school districts. Much to my surprise they had a ton of Dell white-tower PII/PIII computers, just like the ones I literally throw in the garbage every day at work and other random junk that isn't even worth picking up for free.

Anyways, I'm intrigued in making a couple extra dollars being that I'm a poor college student and especially now that I'm getting married this Spring break and need a down payment on a townhouse me and my woman will be attempting to purchase.

I've always wanted to buy a ton of Apple computers, work on them, and sell them. I work on boring Dell desktops and servers all day long at work and getting my hands dirty taking apart Apple computers is something that relaxes my mind after a hard day of fighting to keep Windows Server 2003 operating, and supporting all the mind-boggling user errors in our offices.

Does anyone know where to start asking to see if there is surplus that can be purchased? I'm going to try e-mailing the local school districts and offer them some cash money if they have anything, and I'll try USF (where I go) and UF down here in Florida.

If all goes well I'm hoping to jumpstart an operation with a few friends of mine. When it comes to making money, we can really set our minds to something as we've done in the past, and I think this is an ideal opportunity. There's hardly any resale at all in PC computers, but as we all know Apples tend to hold their resale very well, even when 5-10 years old.

If anyone has any tips or ideas let me know, and if anyone else is looking to make some extra money on the side, I think this is a great opportunity, and if you know the right people then there will always be surplus availability at county schools and universities alike.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.