iPod: Video or nano?

Reaction score
So I am finally ready to replace my 3G 10GB iPod that really doesn't hold a charge much anymore.

Presently I am debating between the 8GB nano and the 30GB Video iPod. They are the same price, so there is no advantage there. Presently I haven't bought any videos off of iTunes, so I just use it for music.

I work out in my house so I don't use it much there. Mostly at work and on the occasional vacation.

I look at it like this, for the same price why not get the Video one.

Anyone want to put my mind at ease and agree?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
I had the same decision. Went with the nano because of size and feel. I work at home and listen to it all day (headphones make it easier on those around me how are not addicted to podcasts) Size was important. The nano is so small it goes everywhere.

daryl

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
My 3rd Gen 15GB has been dying a slow death, so I'm faced with a similar dilemma. Had I not been able to resurrect my first gen Shuffle (thanks to the recently-released fix from Apple), I'd go for a Nano. Now I'm leaning towards the 30 GB video.

The Shuffle is awesome for the car and when I'm working out, so that takes care of 90% of what I'd use a Nano for.

I don't buy any videos either, but at some point I may and I'd like to have that capability. I have about a 45 minute train commute every day and it would be nice to watch a video without pulling out my laptop.

So there you have it-- Mr Cognito says "Nano" and I say "30." Adding to your dilemma?

:-D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
I would pick the nano cause I love that lanyard earphone. Honestly I have yet to see a real reason to buy a video ipod over a pda for just about the same price but better features and screen. I already have a Dell X51V Axim and honestly it seems to do everything the video ipod can do but better except storage capacity.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback so far. I am still leaning towards the video one at the moment.

1) I am on the same page about video, I never know when I might change my mind.
2) My music collection is ever growing and with a 30GB I can fit all of it on there.
3) There are more accessories for the video iPod so if I want anything I know I can get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I bought the 30gb Video when it first came out.. It's an amazing unit.. I found that even with the music I listened to on a regular basis and videos, I was using ~15gb.. And even then, half of that music I never listened to.

As for videos, it's a great feature, but I use my iPod mostly in the car when travelling, so this feature is not really useful to me.

I ended up selling my 30gb to my younger bro to buy a 4gb Nano (which I get soon), and if I must have videos on the go, I can just dump some to my PSP, which makes more sense since it's a true 16:9 ratio and the screen is much larger. (Most of my vids are in 16:9 widescreen.. Waynes World 2 FTW!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
i just had the same debate, i bought the video instead of the nano last night.
i decided the extra memory and video outweighed the size. i felt that since im not a runner or ne thing like that i dont need the size. if i want something really portable im going to get the new shuffle, that little thing looks awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
we cant make that decision for you here bro. how many gigs of mp3's do you have? will you max out your mini real quick? will that even bother you if you have to change up what is on your ipod every so often?

will size be an issue for you? do you think that the smaller one will fit your lifestyle better? or can you deal with a bigger one?

i am going to pick up a second ipod, a shuffle, for the sole purpose of biking....my video ipod is simply too big to throw either in my jersey back pocket or stuff in my bike shorts down my leg

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
i just had the same debate, i bought the video instead of the nano last night.
i decided the extra memory and video outweighed the size. i felt that since im not a runner or ne thing like that i dont need the size. if i want something really portable im going to get the new shuffle, that little thing looks awesome.

I agree with him,, the vido is much better for the price, even if you dont watch videos you have more capacity for music, and if you have a large music library like i do (almost 20gb) it all fits, i know you wont listen to all of it one time, but you never know when your going to feel like listning to a certain song. also, the video isnt that big either, its deffiantly bigger then the nano. the only reason i would get a nona 8gb would be for the 'PRODUCT(RED)' nano to give medicine to people in 3rd worl countrys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
I had the same problem about a month ago. I was thinking about the Video or the Nano. I went with the Nano, because I ride my bike a lot, still waiting for gas to come down in price. I love it! I can't feel it in my pocket and I still check my pockets while riding to make sure it hasn't fallen off. Antoher reason why I got it is because it helped me neck down the music that I listen to. This way all the music that is on my iPod is every thing I really like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD
I just bought a ipod nano 2 gig to replace my ipod mini 4 gig that i destroyed a few months before. My brother has the 30 gig video and I was using it for awhile. I have to admit the bigger screen is really nice to display pictures. The option to play videos is cool but for me moreso to watch music videos, clips I've recorded on my digicam and the odd sitcom here and there. I find watching a movie is difficult for an extended period of time b/c of screen size. That being said, I think the video is a better choice b/c you don't plan to work out with it and it's still pretty sleek. I like the nano b/c of size and although i have a mp3 collection of 30 gigs, I listen to my favorite songs instead of holding my whole collection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I would advise the 30 G iPod. It is a good compromise between physical size and storage size, supports video (so you can change your mind later) and simply has a larger physical display, which makes it easier to use. I have found in practical experience that it is virtually skip proof when I am out walking or just carrying it around. So, it is small (physically), big (storage) and big (display size) all for the same price. Seems like a compelling argument to me.

Reaction score
Has everyone forgot about battery life? The new Nanos can play music for 24 hours! The iPod video only does like 14 or so

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
But who listens for more then 14 hours at a stretch?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.