switch or not ?

B

bamon

Hi to all. I am a Windows user since i can remember. The latest version (WindowsXP) is nearly usable. I do dislike it's gui, temp files management, restarting, virus and vulnerablity issues and so on. Untill 6 months ago i was a gamer. Then I suddenly quit. Now I use the computer for email, text authoring,multimedia and internet (web,ftp,torrent). Since my presence at home is shorter every day I decided that the next computer I buy is a portable one. I decided i was ready to try something new. I am thinking about ibook G4 12.1".I want it to be as small as possible so i can carry it around with no trouble. I have a few questions :

- Is Microsoft office available for mac and what is the latest version ?
- Are there any compatibility issues with files created with office on pc and office on mac ?
- Is the above mentioned hardware enough for fulfulling my user needs also mentioned above ?
- What is the amount of RAM that is recommended for described use ?
- How hard is the switch to mac (if) ?

That is all for now. Thanks for your patience and answers.

OP
F

Fomer

The latest version (WindowsXP) is nearly usable. I do dislike it's gui, temp files management, restarting, virus and vulnerablity issues and so on.

Amen, Moses.

Untill 6 months ago i was a gamer. Then I suddenly quit. Now I use the computer for email, text authoring,multimedia and internet (web,ftp,torrent). Since my presence at home is shorter every day I decided that the next computer I buy is a portable one. I decided i was ready to try something new. I am thinking about ibook G4 12.1".I want it to be as small as possible so i can carry it around with no trouble. I have a few questions

Mac is perfect for light net use and perfect for power using but just the fact that you mentioned multimedia don't know how deep your going with this but if your thinking Photoshop and stuff might want to look into powerbook. HOWEVER, with as much portability as you are speaking of Ibook might be best bet. The powerbooks are sharp and have a sweet design but they are more for indoor laptop use (imo) and the Ibook is made more for bag carrying, airports, etc etc. (again.... my opinion)

Kina... sorta. We have Office X which essentialy is Microsoft Office. But, I hate office X with a passion so you may want to look into it deeper to see if it fits your needs. Click here to do so
- Are there any compatibility issues with files created with office on pc and office on mac ?
No, not if you use office x all files will open the same. If you opt not to use office x there are converters and readers avaliable for (free) download.
- Is the above mentioned hardware enough for fulfulling my user needs also mentioned above ?
Absoutly.
'pends on how deep yuor going to get in Multimedia. I coincider myself a pretty hardcore mutlimedi-er. I have 670+ songs on my comp constantly burning and unburning. I use Adobe, Imovie, Iphoto, themes, data disc I do it all. All with a roaring 256... however as soon as I get the chance I am going to grab another 256 stick I think.
easy as pie, me and trpnmonkey both switched last year to powerbooks (our first macs) And by his post and my own feel it took us about a week (seems to be the same with everyone else) The main thing with Apple (may sound clich'e but its the honest to God truth...) It's a matter of thinking simple (which is harder than it sounds).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
bamon said:
Hi to all. I am a Windows user since i can remember. The latest version (WindowsXP) is nearly usable. I do dislike it's gui, temp files management, restarting, virus and vulnerablity issues and so on. Untill 6 months ago i was a gamer. Then I suddenly quit. Now I use the computer for email, text authoring,multimedia and internet (web,ftp,torrent). Since my presence at home is shorter every day I decided that the next computer I buy is a portable one. I decided i was ready to try something new. I am thinking about ibook G4 12.1".I want it to be as small as possible so i can carry it around with no trouble. I have a few questions :

GRAPHite: Welcome to Mac-Forums!

GRAPHite: Yup and M$ has even been quoted saying the Office version for Mac OSX is better than the windows version. They are the same thing.

GRAPHite: nope. (if there is Text edit will open it and you can just copy and paste :D

GRAPHite: yeah good choice with the 12'' thats the one i will get.

GRAPHite: I would say 256 is low... OSX feeds off of RAM... the more the faster. I have 512 and wish I woulda gotten 1024.. but i have an iMac and its hard to upgrade now. So you may wana get 1024 or even higher..

GRAPHite: It all depends on how much you love windows., if you cant pry your grip loose... itl be awhile... you shouldn't have a problem :D. There are a few differences, but once you get in the mind set of "its easy" you will start trying the easiest solution first and finding thats all you need to do.

That is all for now. Thanks for your patience and answers.

GRAPHite: Your welcome.

OP
B

bamon

Hi. Thank you for extended reply. My multimedia use is currently limited on mp3s and a divx/dvd now and then. That is all. How much RAM will do for that ?

thanx.

Fomer said:
Amen, Moses.

Mac is perfect for light net use and perfect for power using but just the fact that you mentioned multimedia don't know how deep your going with this but if your thinking Photoshop and stuff might want to look into powerbook. HOWEVER, with as much portability as you are speaking of Ibook might be best bet. The powerbooks are sharp and have a sweet design but they are more for indoor laptop use (imo) and the Ibook is made more for bag carrying, airports, etc etc. (again.... my opinion)

Kina... sorta. We have Office X which essentialy is Microsoft Office. But, I hate office X with a passion so you may want to look into it deeper to see if it fits your needs. Click here to do so
No, not if you use office x all files will open the same. If you opt not to use office x there are converters and readers avaliable for (free) download.
Absoutly.
'pends on how deep yuor going to get in Multimedia. I coincider myself a pretty hardcore mutlimedi-er. I have 670+ songs on my comp constantly burning and unburning. I use Adobe, Imovie, Iphoto, themes, data disc I do it all. All with a roaring 256... however as soon as I get the chance I am going to grab another 256 stick I think.
easy as pie, me and trpnmonkey both switched last year to powerbooks (our first macs) And by his post and my own feel it took us about a week (seems to be the same with everyone else) The main thing with Apple (may sound clich'e but its the honest to God truth...) It's a matter of thinking simple (which is harder than it sounds).

OP
S

StarManta

Any amount of RAM would be fine for that. But like graphite said, the more the better. 256 or 512 (depending on your budget).

OP
F

Fomer

256 will be plenty. But as Graph' said OS X feeds off ram. So if you have 512 compared to 256 you'll see a big difference. If you up to 768 you'll notice even bigger. IMO unless you do major work 1024 is really too much (if thats possible).

If it comes with 256 which I think it does. I'd try that out see if it its plenty for you, if you find yourself needing/wanting more and can afford it I'd grab a 512 or 256 stick. 512 insures you'd never have to replace it, another 256 would set you up with 512 which imo would be double what you got and couldn't want anymore esp just for basic browsing, mp3's, email, office work.

Most these guys who have their ram in the thousands play a lot of games, do a lot of video editing, or own their own website.

Also if you do decide to upgrade and have minimal hardware installation knowledge I'd buy your Ram online Graphite, Macaddikt, Rman can hook you up with a good link. The prices are almost half of Apple's... for the same thing.

OP
J

jacobdol

Graphite said:
I just bought my first Mac ever- iBook, 700Mghz, 384MB RAM, ComboDR, OS X 10.2.8. - $600. All I can say this thing is amazing.
I like MS Office - it's intuitive and I wish they had the same GUI layout on the Windows version ad they do on Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup more RAM = More Speed.

I own a 733Mhz G4 and a 800Mhz G4, the 733 is fastest because it has 1024RAM and the 800 only has 512. Crazy, but everything loads soo much faster on the 733.

OP
B

bamon

Hmm. I will probably go for 512 to be on the safe side. I was wondering. Which is the most recommended movie player that plays all stuff no matter what the codec is. Is mplayer for OSX any good ? And which bittorrent client is most user friendly ? I apologize if i ask some dumb questions but i need to know all these things before i make a switch so my work then can continue with little disturbance as possible.thanx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VLC and its free...
Quicktime otherwise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.