External Backup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MacBook 2GB RAM
Morning everyone. Well I ordered my new 1.83 Macbook on Wednesday morning, and it took all of 27 hours to arrive at my door! Very impressed with Apple and UPS UK. This little notebook is great. Quiet, cool, and nice to type on. The glossy screen is beautiful as I am used to matte. I am still getting used to OS X having used it little before switching; but it seems to be more versatile than XP Home which I was using previously. I do have a question about system backup though.

I used the disk utility to "restore" my Macintosh HD to an external usb 2.0 HD. I used GUID partitioning (I think that's what it was called). Is it then possible for me to boot from the external drive? I have read opposing arguments as to whether this is possible. Some people say only Firewire is bootable; some say Intel Core Duo can boot from USB. I would like to know if anyone has any experiece with this.

Also what are the differences between the two disk utilities (CRC-32 and MD-5)? This is my first Mac, I don't have a clue!

Thans in advance :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.