connecting to a network hub?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook, 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 512 MB. first gen ipod nano, 4 gig black
so, I spend a lot of time at my boyfriend's, so we got a network hub to connect me to the internet with it. I have no idea how to connect to it! there is a wireless network in range that I am using, but I don't like piggy backing on someone else's (stupidly) unsecured network. can anyone help me? the hub we got is the.... linksys 10/100 5 port hub network everywhere model nh1005

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*bump* I seriously need help with this. the comp says that it cannot automatically detect the ISP address or something like that (I'm on a school computer because mine currently cannot connect to the internet!!!!!) I am no good with computers, and some help would be greatly appreciated!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
come on! at least say something like "can't help ya, sorry, you might try somewhere else!"
*mumble grumble....*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
What have you connected the hub to? Is it going into a router, another computer, a wall jack...?

Do any other computers in your boyfriend's location work? Did you try disconnecting the cable to one of the computers that you know works and plug it into your computer?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
tried all that, and it's connected to a router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
In that case, you'll need to be specific about the error you're seeing. It could be anything at this point.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it says (can't say exactly right now- I'm on a wireless network in my school's campus center) that it can't find the IP address (or something like that)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.