PB 17 does not start, possible HDD failure

V

VictorBoyko

Today i took a PB 17" 1.67ghz from my girlfriend to spend a quiet weekend working (I own a Macbook, so Photoshop runs much faster on her machine).

It suddenly froze in the middle of the game my 10yo nephew was playing. After that it does not start at all: I turn it on, blue screen appears, then a welcome sound and then i hear clicks from lower-left corner (where the HDD sits): four clicks, then a short delay, then four clicks more, then short delay again then just one click. after that - nothing. I tried rebooting with option key pressed but it gave nothing, I don't see a HDD in a screen that appears.

Am I right and the HDD is dead? This is very painful, because the laptop is not mine, it's my girlfriends' and I really don't want to let her down with this. I think I can replace a HDD myself, but I just want to be sure it is HDD. Maybe it has something to do with sudden motion sensor?

What can I generally try to see if it is HDD or not?

Thank you very much.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Boot from the install media and see if you can see the hard disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.