Power mac boot issues

W

waxman

Ive recently aquired a PowerMac G5.

Firstly, the mac does not output any video. I beleive it has a geforce 5200 agp pro card. 2 video ports, one dvi, one is apples prop. port. using samsung lcd monitor with dvi to vga adaptor.
When i turn on the mac, the led about the power button blinks breifly, then turns off - but the mac still runs, and the fans gradually speed up to full speed. still no video. made sure all connections were in place.

that is after i reset the PMU. the led used to stay on, but there was still no video.

-it has no hard disk-

Shouldnt it atleast start, and display something about no hard disk? after the video problem is fixed that is...

Any ideas?

Thanks guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
Well I just brought a G4 Cube with 17" LCD Studio Display (LCD) and when I turned it on (with no HDD installed) it makes the startup chime and then goes to a grey screen and shows a folder with a ?.

Does the G5 make the startup chime?

OP
W

waxman

eh

I forgot about that startup chime being very important...

No... none at all. just those fans spinning up to speed gradually. No video either.

Thanks for the Reply.

-waxman

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.