Do Macbook and iMac have the same ram?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod
hey everybody. i have both an intel imac (1.83 17 inch) and a macbook (1.83 13.3 inch). ive looked around, and cant seem to find the answer...

i did a quick search on crucial, as i am thinking about dropping some ram in both of my machines. when searching, both come up with DDR2 PC2-5300. do both of these machines take the same ram? if so, im considering buying the 1 gig (512x2) deal and just putting the additional 512 in each machine. thanks in advance.

G

Guardian

Check the specs under about this mac I think it will tell you if your imac has an empty slot or not. My imac which is the 20" 2.16 had two 512's in it and the ram was DDR2 667 Mhz. Not sure what your macbook might need tho

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D, 2 Gig.
does the imac 20"c2d has to be a matched ram or not?
answer to self, No. only a core duo.

OP
AnatomyOfARyan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, thanks for that... my question still isnt really answered i guess. does the macbook and imac use the same type of ram? are they interchangable? can you take ram out one machine, and put it in the other? thanks.

Reaction score
ok, thanks for that... my question still isnt really answered i guess. does the macbook and imac use the same type of ram? are they interchangable? can you take ram out one machine, and put it in the other? thanks.

I am relatively new to Mac but unless the iMac is one crazy machine I would bet real good money they are not. Notebook RAM and desktop RAM is not the same.

I bought MacBook RAM on NewEgg and it was listed with the other notebook RAM.

So I would say, no.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Yes, they use the same RAM (PC2-5300 SODIMM). The processor in the iMac is also the mobile Core 2 Duo (Merom).

OP
AnatomyOfARyan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, i thought they would use the same ram... yes, the iMac is technically a desktop, but because of its size, is alot like a laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D, 2 Gig.
hey everybody. i have both an intel imac (1.83 17 inch) and a macbook (1.83 13.3 inch). ive looked around, and cant seem to find the answer...

i did a quick search on crucial, as i am thinking about dropping some ram in both of my machines. when searching, both come up with DDR2 PC2-5300. do both of these machines take the same ram? if so, im considering buying the 1 gig (512x2) deal and just putting the additional 512 in each machine. thanks in advance.

take note, a core duo needs a paired ram (2X same amount) while the C2D doesn't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.