No ethernet in TCP/IP control panel

Reaction score
I'm trying to connect through a router using an Apple Fast Ethernet PCI SA0025 card. The "Connect via Ethernet" option does not appear in the TCP/IP control panel. The router sees the Mac and the lights are steady on on the PCI card. I'm running OS 8.6 and OpenTransport 2.x on a Performa 6360. Is a separate driver required? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Reaction score
I'm trying to connect through a router using an Apple Fast Ethernet PCI SA0025 card. The "Connect via Ethernet" option does not appear in the TCP/IP control panel. The router sees the Mac and the lights are steady on on the PCI card. I'm running OS 8.6 and OpenTransport 2.x on a Performa 6360. Is a separate driver required? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Im running TCP/Ip 2.7.4 and its in the pull down menu.I would reinstall all the communication softwear off your OS disk.

OP
B
Reaction score
No change after reloading ethernet drivers and OpenTransport from the Mac OS 8.6 CD. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Reaction score

I found out some info for you:

Ethernet PCI Card
Some computers may have unstable PCI bus bridge chips. To ensure the card is working under the optimal PCI bus environment, please insert the Fast Ethernet card into PCI slot closest to the processor chip.

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-246995.html

I also read in another place that trying AppleTalk in the TCP/IP menu might work.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Before I declare the card dead, just what is the required driver? What I see in Extensions Manager are: Apple Built-In Ethernet, Apple Enet, Apple Ethernet CS, Apple Ethnet CS II, Apple Ethernet LC, and Apple Ethernet NB -- all enabled and all that is available on the MacOS 8.6 CD. I don't see anythig related to the Apple Fast Ethernet PCI card that is installed in the one available PCI slot on the Performa 6360.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.6.? - 2.5 GHz Intel G5 - 2 GB RAM
I found that problem while setting up a Mac for my friend (OS 9.6 - I think)

I needed to reinstall the OS, then it was there ;)

OP
B
Reaction score
I reinstalled OS 8.6. No change. So the Apple PCI Fast Ethernet card must be bad.

OP
B
Reaction score
Sure enough! I found and installed another recycled Apple PCI Fast Ethernet card for a buck, and "Ethernet" now shows up as a choice in the TCP/IP control panel. I got my free neighborhood wireless internet to work through a Buffalo ethernet adapter and my wife is happy with her much faster then dialup AOL email on her vintage Performa 6360 with TV tuner.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.