Quicktime in Browser

H

hurdygurdyman

I just switched to Mac, and I'm very frustrated with Quicktime. Every time I click on a sound file on a webpage, Quicktime plays the file in a new page in the browser, and I have to use the back button to return to the webpage.

This is a problem since I'm using an online tutorial to learn a foreign language, and I want to be able to quickly listen to different sound files.

So, is there a way to keep Quicktime from opening in the browser and instead automatically play files in the Quicktime Player? That way I can listen to the file while still viewing the webpage. Or is there another program I can use instead of Quicktime and get rid of Quicktime altogether?

I love my Mac, but this was never a problem on my PC with Windows Media Player.

Thanks!

Reaction score
I just switched to Mac, and I'm very frustrated with Quicktime. Every time I click on a sound file on a webpage, Quicktime plays the file in a new page in the browser, and I have to use the back button to return to the webpage.

This is a problem since I'm using an online tutorial to learn a foreign language, and I want to be able to quickly listen to different sound files.

So, is there a way to keep Quicktime from opening in the browser and instead automatically play files in the Quicktime Player? That way I can listen to the file while still viewing the webpage. Or is there another program I can use instead of Quicktime and get rid of Quicktime altogether?

I love my Mac, but this was never a problem on my PC with Windows Media Player.

Thanks!

I just control-clicked (right-clicked) on a media link and there were no options to launch QT, but I could launch it in iTunes.

If you control/right click on the file see if viewing it in QT is an option or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
command+click - this should launch the file in a new tab (if you have tabbed browsing on) You can then just close the tab afterwards and remain on the same page. It's pretty much the same as launching the file in quicktime, except you don't need to be constantly switching between apps. This way will keep your page and the media open at the same time in the same app.

Also, opt+click is a quick way to download linked files if you want to listen to them anytime ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.