G4 Cube- restore disc not ejecting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
Hi,

I just brought a PowerMac G4 Cube + 17" LCD Studio Display and finally had a chance to set it up.

I put the restore disc into the drive and it boots into OS9, but I can't seem to eject the disc.

Holding the mouse button and restarting does nothing, or pressing the eject key. In OS9, it won't let me eject because it's running from the disc.

I then tried booting in open firmware mode by holding Command + Option + O + F and typing 'eject cd' but it says 'can't open EJECT device.'

The drive is a Panasonic CW-8124 Combo drive, and I can't seem to see an eject button on it. It does look like a piece of metal is locking the disc in.

I can't open the drive up because I don't have any TORX screwdrivers to access it. I have ordered some, but they won't come until next week.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
Luckily, my TORX screwdrivers arrived this morning, so I opened up the Cube and the combo drive and physically removed the disc.

I'll try installing Tiger instead when it arrives later this week and hopefully I will have more luck with that!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.