Mini as a server

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
Hi,

Now I have my MBP :)flower:) I want to use my mini more effectively.

The main things I would like to use it for are for backups (from mbp and through ftp), file storage, itunes server. I *may* forray into mail servers at a later date - probably much later as I've only just got the hang of IMAP on my hosting server so trying to use it locally... aahhh.

Anyhow I digress - do I need to install OXS on the mini. Or can you use OS x client as is, and if so how?

I am not neccesarily after the easiest method, just the most effective. I am googling too but can't seem to find anything concrete (ie how to do it!)

Thanks for your help as always!

AD

Reaction score
me too

i am also interested in the above. if anyone has experience with the mini as a small network file server, please chime in. for me, a 15-machine peer-to-peer network, using mostly Windows 2000 or XP pros.

i have no doubt the mini will be a better overall replacement to my current file server (a slightly dated XP box), but am unsure whether the hardware of the mini will hold up to 10 people's daily file requests (nothing out of the ordinary office files). i will have to hang our "network drive" as an external off of the mini.

didnt mean to thread jack, but i think my situation is very similar. thanks in advance.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
also might be worth noting that if I dont go with OXS it will be something I would want to implement on a Mac Pro.

Ad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
You are just fine with OS X if you want to run a simple server. All the necessary software can be found in your installation DVD (installed by default). If you are accustomed to commandline (Terminal) there are plenty of other open source software you can download to assist your task. However I would recommend you to check out MAMP website. It is really easy to install and the package consist of up to date software.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is that just a web server?

I'm more looking for a file server / itunes server etc

Ad

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
for file server, i have just enabled sharing, and then used Sharepoints to manage the external drive as a shared volume. seems to work so far, i will test a bit more vigorously before i implement for my office. os x appears to handle file serving just fine, but the mentioned app appears to allow for easier permissions/groups mgmt.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cool thanks I'll take a look!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.