Migrating from Mac Mini to IMac

T

tommyz

I bought a mac mini 2 months ago - and purchased a bunch of downloaded software. I am receiveing my iMac today and want to migrate all that software to the new machine. Is there a simple way to do this? There are tools for the PC world that I know of that let you create a build and move it - but i dont know if the same exists for the mac.

As an aside question: How do I designate a download folder when downloading items from the internet? The mac mini seems to throw everything on the desktop which for me is the aboslute last place I'd want things going.... can you specify a downloaded applications folder or something to keep the system clearn and tidy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Can't answer the first however the second is...

Just change the Settings for the Program you are using to Download stuff...

Safari

Go to Safari, Preferences, General Tab then change:
Save Downloaded Files to: Desktop
to What ever Folder/Destination you want!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
On starting up your new iMac you get asked if you want to transfer data from another Mac . you'll need a cable . However I've never done it so can't say what happens but it is described several places .

You have also iDisk just upload to your account and sync with it on your new iMac.

Congrats and good luck:mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
The Migration Assistant will move all you files and programs over. Matter of fact it will make an exact clone of the original system. You just need a 6 pin to 6 pin firewire cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch iMac / Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 gHz / 1 GB RAM / 250gb hd / Black iPod Nano 2nd gen 8gb
I remember when booting up my mac for the first time, it asked me if I wanted to transfer files from my old mac to my new mac. Since I just made the transition from windows to mac, I had no use for this tool. But I'm going to assume it may come in handy and solve a few of your issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The Migration Assistant says it will allow you transfer Users, Applications, Network & Machine Settings, Files, and Volumes. It is capable of transfering from another Mac via a Firewire connection or from a volume (disk) on the machine your running it on.

I used option 2 to do it all and don't remember having any problems. I did wonder if it copied an obsolete application from the Utilities directory, but that wouldn't affect anything. I have third party applications in a special folder, and it copied those too.

The firewire trick requires that you boot the machine with the old system into a special firewire disk mode. That way it looks like just another volume.

Reaction score
Out of curiosity - what made you decide to migrate to an iMac? What did you like/not like about the Mini?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.