iTunes Library on External Drive

Reaction score
Hey eveyone, First off I gotta say this is a great forum and as a new Mac user I've learned a ton of useful stuff. I'm sure this is a 'newbe' kinda question so sorry if its been brought up before. I'm running a 24" iMac with 2gb of RAM. When I finally have all my music ripped to the system the library will probably be around 60-80gb. I know I have plenty of free space but I havent started installing any programs yet. So here's what I wanted to know. Does anyone keep their music on an external drive to save space on the computer and when you play back is there any noticeable delay. Also can you recommend a external drive?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Get yourself a nice Firewire, 7200rpm drive and you'll see no lag at all. I recommend IcomData all the way, they have great drives.

To set it up, you'll need to open iTunes preferences and set your Music folder to your External drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I use it and it works fine. No lag except for when I haven't been accessing files on the Hard Drive for a while it has to spin up before I can listen to songs (a few seconds) but once its spinning there is no delay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac
I have mine on a wireless NAS drive and it works just fine - the speed of the drive and the wireless network is more than enough to keep up.

Cheers,

Jack.

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
I have mine on a 250Gb USB 2.0 External HDD.

I have no lag.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Mine is (now) on a 250gig firewire drive and there are no problems with lag or anything else. It wasn't originally, but I moved it over and rather than set the preferences to point to the external drive, I created an alias (nee symlink for the UNIX people) that resides on the internal drive pointing to the iTunes folder on the external. Works great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.