Changing macbook HD : pain in the wing dings

Reaction score
SO.. i figure this will be a cinch, right?

swap in , swap out.

No.

i get the hitachi 160gb from newegg. i take the existing one out... then i'm noticing that there's no bootable drive except for the USB i've connected.

i pull it out. this thing is tough to get out.

well the rubber pads on each side are poorly glued and have come apart.

so i figure, okay, maybe this is keeping the contacts from working.

nope. still don't work. now i have to deal with the pain in the wing wang of a return and blah blah blah.

and about the rubber things? i dunno. apple won't cover it on warranty, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
How do you mean 'no bootable drive except for USB'? Did you actually install OS X or copy over your old stuff to the new drive? If you boot with the OS X install disk and run Disk Utility, could you see the drive?

Rubber things ... no idea. If it was a *really* tight squeeze, could you have a drive that's physically too big? I know there are 2 sizes of 2.5" drive and the macbook takes the smaller of the two ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
You have to tuck the "Rubber" thingy's in with a small card...ie credit card can help them push back into place. (had to do this when i upgraded my ram. And you must boot with the OSX disc and run disk utility to format the hdd to apple specifications. you may have to reboot th computer a few times just to get it to recognize the drive. No biggie thou. it will show up. as long as its one of the certified to work in apple's. I forget where that actual site is to look them up.

Hope this helps you out

OP
kevin_msu
Reaction score
disk utility can't see the drive.
it's gotta be the one that works with Macs... the comments on NewEgg stated "got this for my mac book blah blah blah"
i don't think its getting any power or something like that. I think its a bum drive.

it seems to be missing the three pronged part ..... thats really had to explain without pics.

OP
kevin_msu
Reaction score
thats what it looks like..

NOW... look next to the pins... its cut off in the pic, but there are three prongs .. i think its the power supply

this hitachi doesn't have those prongs on the left that are sort of cut off in the pic.

i called new egg. i just have to ship it back and buy a new one. we'll see what happens. heck, maybe i'll wait a few weeks and the prices will come down.

edit
seagate-top.jpg

there on the right. the three pins.
they don't have pics of the hitachi i have but the seagate i'm replacing in my mac and those in the pic have that three prong connector.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD
Thanks for the heads up!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.