bootup sound - changeable or hardwired?

A

adam taylor

hello all, the "DANNNNNNNNG" sfx when i startup the ibook is beginning to grate, is it in hardware or can i change it (or at least the volume) ?

cheers, Adam

edit - sorry, i should have put this in "Switchers"

OP
R

Ray

adam taylor said:
hello all, the "DANNNNNNNNG" sfx when i startup the ibook is beginning to grate, is it in hardware or can i change it (or at least the volume) ?

I'm guessing it can't be changed because it's actually part of the firmware.

Although, I have found that if your sound is muted when you shut down, you get no sound when you boot up. My wife doesn't like hearing the DAAANG! noise when she is asleep, and I am still awake playing on my iBook at 3:00AM. :)

-Ray

OP
A

adam taylor

hi Ray, yes that's as i suspected, but the mute thing is useful thanks. cant say it bothers me enough to mute everytime i close down. but it seems such a coarse thing on my lovely ibook! silly really! :)

OP
S

shadov

Luckily we aren't running Windows. It would be embarrassing to reboot, "DANNNG!", reboot, "DANNNG!" in the middle of a lecture or in a library..

I almost never turn my ibook off. It sleeps when I'm not using it. Still it would be nice to be able change the sound.

OP
K

kjellquist

That brings up a good question...Is it ok to leave my iBook running for a few days at a time? I always though laptops should be shut down when not in use.

OP
A

adam taylor

kjellquist said:
That brings up a good question...Is it ok to leave my iBook running for a few days at a time? I always though laptops should be shut down when not in use.

interesting, i tried letting mine sleep overnight, when i woke it, the clock was wrong... im sure it wasnt travelling faster than light...

OP
S

s3pt1k

kjellquist said:

Fact of the matter is, continually turning on and turning off a computer causes unnecessary wear and tear on good parts. Think of basic physics. What does something do when you heat it? What about cooling? It is better to leave your lappy running to keep things in check by not causing unnecessary expansion/contraction of parts. I reboot once every three or four days, but NEVER turn it off. It sleeps like it's supposed to for good reason. :)

OP
T

TylerMoney

yeah, about that. I don't buy it. These things are made to be turned on and off....turning on isn't creating as much heat as using it....and I'll admit that sleeping doesn't either...but at the same time...there is more heat by leaving it on all the time. The truth is I don't think it matters...I have had some people tell me it isn't good to turn on and off all the time, others say it doesn't matter...I think we all have our weird little quarks....so, I think it's really up to waht sets your mind at ease....for me, it's turning it off every night....and letting it sleep during the day while I'm not using it...so I come back to it easily.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.