Buying a Powermac G4

Reaction score
Greetings,

As much as I'd like to get the newest Mac stuff, it's out of my price range (credit cards are out of the question)

I like the price of the G4. Which should I get, the dual 1.25 or dual 1.42?

I am planning to use the machine for some recording (rehearsals) audio editing, music notation, as well as internet and word, excel, etc...

I can get Mac mini, but I have some PCI cards that I'd like to use with the machine. and even Mac mini is just a little out of my price range...just a bit...

Is this a good move, or should I just shut up and save for an Intel Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Well I'm New my first Mac is the one I'm using an Intel iMac....

With saying that, I would suggest getting the one that will offer you the best performance which would be the G4.

So get the one that best suits your needs and wallet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
An older G4 tower is a fine choice. Either one of the ones you asked about would be more than enough for your needs. Just because something is older, doesn't mean it is worthless like some people would have you believe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
To save the cash, I'd just go with the 1.25ghz one, as it has plenty of power for you. I've got a g4 tower I use all the time with photoshop, iMovie, etc and even though its 5 years old its still got plenty of power.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
Unfortunately I just parted ways with my G4 MDD dual 867MHz rig (1.5GB/160GB/DVD-RW/9800Pro) which would have been ideal for what you want. And I sold it for $475 so the price would have been right.

Anyways, the G4 MDD is a great machine. Even my dual 867MHz had plenty of power in OSX. As long as you have dual CPU model, the G4 will run OSX great because it's really designed to take advantage of multiple CPUs. When you need to save the money, the G4 PowerMac is a reliable, fast, and easily upgradeable machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.