Transferring AIFF Files from PC laptop to Mac Mini

W

Wilbur

Hi there,

A long term PC user, I've recently bought an Mac Mini to run alongside and take care of all my lifestyle applications (music, photos. video etc...).

I have around 60Gb of AIFF file stored on my PC laptop that I really want to transfer across to my itunes library on the Mac. Please could you adivse me as to the quickest and easiest way to do this... USB cable between the two?

Thank you in advance.

Wilbur

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
You could set up a simple network between the two, either using a router or just a simple ad-hoc network. This I think would be the fastest way of transferring your files.

Regards,

Chris :mac:

OP
W

Wilbur

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your suggestion... please could you explain in a bit more detail how I would go about doing that... I can get as far as plugging my laptop into my router what next?!

Thanks in advance,

Wilbur

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17", Intel Core Duo
Plug both computers into the routers, share the folder with the AIFF files on your windows machine, and the folder should appear somewhere in Finder. It should be under Network or something like that. After that, you can move the files to your Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
All you need to do is what hclincha said.

1. Plug your MAC and PC into the router.
2. If you haven't done so already, run NETWORK SET-UP WIZARD on your PC in order to set permissions of sharing folders and to make sure the domain name is set etc.

-When running network set-up wizard make sure:
1. From the "connection type" menu select OTHER and then check the THIS COMPUTER CONNECTS THROUGH A HUB selection.

2. When the wizard asks if you want to enable file and printer sharing select YES, it will come up with a box asking if you want to, click YES to this also.

The default domain name for Windows is MSHOME but you can call it anything really, it does not matter as long as you know what it's called.

Now. You don't really need to do anything on the MAC (because its that good! lol)

To access the shared folder on your PC from your MAC simply open finder, select NETWORK. You may have to wait a minute for the list of workgroups to appear but providing your Windows workgroup is set to MSHOME then you will see a folder called MSHOME appear.

Double click to open this folder and you should see your Windows PC represented as a folder. This will be called whatever you named it I.E. mine's called "chris-desktop". To connect to the PC and "mount" the shared folder onto your MAC simply double click the icon and you will come up with a box asking what shared volume you wish to connect to. Select the SHARED FOLDER and press accept/OK. You may be asked to enter a password but this is not necessary in most cases. You should be able to connect with no problems without having to enter a password so if that box comes up just leave the password field blank and press accept/OK.

Now you should have the SHARED DOCUMENTS from your Windows PC mounted on your MAC. You will notice that an icon appears on the side bar in Finder and on your Desktop. These folders will disappear when you un-mount/disconnect from the network drive.

You should now be able to open the Shared Documents folder and copy/move files and folders to and from it. All you need to do now is on your Windows PC, copy all of your AIFF files to a folder within the SHARED DOCUMENTS folder and then go to your MAC and copy them from the shared documents folder onto your MAC's hard drive.

The reason why I say copy as opposed to move is because if an error occurs half way through the copy then your original files are untouched. Whereas if an error occurs half way through a move you will have files in two places, some may be corrupt and so on.

Hope this little guide makes sense to you.

Regards,

Chris :mac:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.