New Mac Book Pro......and a problem

W

Who Cares444

So, I finally switched and got one of the new Mac Book Pros. So far, I'm loving it to death. It's so fast and beautiful, I could easily compare it to [fluffy bunnies]. However, I do have a problem.

When I'm at home, I can't get the internet to work. I have a cable modem and a Netgear router. I have a PC hardwired and a wireless PC laptop that both work just fine. My MBP says it's connected to the network and the internet and that everything is just fine. The diagnostics tells me that it can't help me. The problem is, when I open Safari, the page never loads. After about a minute, it tells me the server stopped responding. I'm at school right now and am connected to their WiFi with the MBP just fine. I also just checked and the IP address for school is different from the one it tries to connect to at home.

Help!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
first off congrats on your new baby!

- can you connect from your MBP to your router wirelessly?
- have you done all the software and airport updates?
- have you checked "use interference robustness"?

OP
W

Who Cares444

Yeah, when I opened the Fed Ex box, it was probably the happiest moment of my life. That includes birth.

Anyway

-I can connect to the router, but it won't provide me with an internet connection. I tried pinging google from my MBP and nothing happened. I've restarted my modem, router, and MBP and still nothing.

-No, I haven't. I think I'll give that a go right now.

-I checked it once for a brief time, but I wasn't sure what it was, so I turned it back off.

Reaction score
Yeah, when I opened the Fed Ex box, it was probably the happiest moment of my life. That includes birth.

Anyway

-I can connect to the router, but it won't provide me with an internet connection. I tried pinging google from my MBP and nothing happened. I've restarted my modem, router, and MBP and still nothing.

-No, I haven't. I think I'll give that a go right now.

-I checked it once for a brief time, but I wasn't sure what it was, so I turned it back off.

I'm having the exact same problem right now. At school today I was plugged into their network as I have been for the past several weeks with no problem. I came home, plugged everything in, and nothing. I can't get my email, I can't get any web pages to load, and like you said pinging sites comes up with nothing. I've been having to force quit Safari after it sits for some time.

I do NOT have a wireless router however, and neither is the network at school. I'm sitting on my iMac right now so there's no problem with the ISP from what I can tell.

Reaction score
Aaaand I fixed my problem.

To: Who_Cares. Try resetting your router. It seemed to do the trick for me. I guess it was just being cranky, but I just unplugged it for a bit and then plugged it back in and now I'm back on my MBP.

OP
W

Who Cares444

Update: I tried resetting the router again (leaving it unplugged longer this time) and turned on Interference Robustness, but neither are working.

It also seems as if being hardwired into the router works just fine. My MBP is now hooked in and online via ethernet cable. This is kind of good news but not really since I'm not looking foward to using this configuration every time I want to get online.

Ahhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you using WEP? If so 64 or 128 Bit? There is a setting you have to change from default or you will have no internet if you are using WEP. Let me know and if so I can help you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
make sure your internet connection settings are correct and not catered for your schools network
-chris

OP
W

Who Cares444

make sure your internet connection settings are correct and not catered for your schools network
-chris

How can I do that?

I know that the IP I connect to at home is different to the one I connect to at school. Also, the home network is preferred and the MBP connects to it the second it's detected. The one at school always asks if I want to connect to it because no preferred network can be found. So, I'm assuming, if anything, that my MBP is catered to my home network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
This just happened on my sisters iBook when she got it. I fixed it after hours of frustration... and it was somthing really REALLY simple.... can't remember though... ugh.

Have you run the internet connect wizard? Run that and restart the router when it asks you to restart it.

OP
W

Who Cares444

Yeah, I've run the diagnostic many times and it's never worked.

I really appreciate all the help, guys (I don't know if that reads as sarcasm, but it's not)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Alas, I am using WPA.

It should work then if you have the key in right. WPA for me always goes right in on OSX. I have had issues on XP machines with WPA Pro. Not sure what is up.

OP
W

Who Cares444

I entered the key right. the MBP tells me that I'm connected to the internet, but it never loads anything. I can't load a web page, connect to iTunes, or iChat. Once or twice it loaded half of my homepage, but that took about five minutes.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you open System Preferences and networking and click on Airport and then the TCP/IP tab, what IP address do you see there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
mine didn't work first time either. Manually configured and rebooted a couple of times and it was fine.. not sure why though!

Ad

OP
W

Who Cares444

If you open System Preferences and networking and click on Airport and then the TCP/IP tab, what IP address do you see there?

192.168.x.x

And if I wanted to configure it manually, how would I know what to input?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
you have to set your router up to not be using DCHP, then you assign an address to each machine. So mine is 192.168.0.8 - personally I find it easier than it doing it for itself as it never seems to work!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a server that has to be at a certain IP adress to work the way I have it set up. I can leave the router at DHCP and still manually assign the server an IP and it works and the DHCP in any router I have tried worked around that fixed IP of my server. if the 3rd digit in your address is day 1 than make the Mac 192.168.1.5 say or similar. If that still does not get you internet than something else is wrong and I will check more into it for you. I have never had your problem here except with WEB before I found how to select between ASCII and HEX. With WPA like you are using, ALL my Macs old and new with Airport or Airport Extreme work perfectly every time. Good luck and let us know what happens if you try the Fixed IP on the Mac.

OP
W

Who Cares444

Yeah, I tried to set my MBP up with manual DHCP and typed in a similar IP (192.168.1.6), but it still didn't work. Then I went into my router's configurations and tried to input as much info from that into my MBP as I could, but still nothing.

EDIT:

New development. I am now browsing the internet, at home, using my MBP wirelessly. I changed my encryption from WPA to WEP-128. So, it's something about the WPA that my MBP doesn't like because I'm browsing great right now with excellent speed. A weird thing though, when I tried putting in my password for the WEP encryption, the MBP said it wasn't the right password. Yet, it accepted it when I put it in as a hexadecimal passcode.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.