Backup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
I just recently purchased an Imac 24" and love it so far. One thing I was curious about though is backups. On my old PC I used to use Acronis to make backup images of my data and store them on a separate hard drive. Since I have started to consider taking my Imac back to the sotre and saving $300 by purchasing a refurbished model instead I would like to be able to have a full sytem backup which I could restore if I made such a swap.

Is there good and cheap software for the mac which I can use to essentially make a image of my hard drive which can be restored to a new hard drive? This would also be usefull if I was to upgrade the hard drive in my system itself from a 250g to something larger.

Reaction score
I just recently purchased an Imac 24" and love it so far. One thing I was curious about though is backups. On my old PC I used to use Acronis to make backup images of my data and store them on a separate hard drive. Since I have started to consider taking my Imac back to the sotre and saving $300 by purchasing a refurbished model instead I would like to be able to have a full sytem backup which I could restore if I made such a swap.

Is there good and cheap software for the mac which I can use to essentially make a image of my hard drive which can be restored to a new hard drive? This would also be usefull if I was to upgrade the hard drive in my system itself from a 250g to something larger.

Hi theonegod and welcome to Mac-Forums!

I think Disc Utility will do what you want. You will find it in the Utilities folder which is in the Applications folder at the bottom of the list, usually.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Ah thanks. I see that there now. Looks like it may even have an option related to using a dvdr. Will have to play with it.

Reaction score
I have been using Backup for the past couple of weeks and find it works very good. I use it to backup to my iDisk as well as an extra hard drive.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
When I try to use disk utility and make an image to either my hard drive or a network drive I get an error that it can't make itcause the resource is in use. Sound slike it is saying the hard drive is in use so it can't make the image. But nothing but disk utility is running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I personally like Superduper! for full bootable system backups.

It's free for full backups, you'll need to buy it for incrementals though.

Reaction score
I like backitymac. It's great if you're an active iLife user.

Just wait for Leopard--- it's gonna be great with backups :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Doing abackup with SuperDooper now. Seems to be pretty straight forward for what I want. I just want straight up images of the hard drive. No incrementals, no individual files. Seems to do that well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Could someone please walk me through the process of backing up my system using SuperDuper! ???

TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
When I try to use disk utility and make an image to either my hard drive or a network drive I get an error that it can't make itcause the resource is in use. Sound slike it is saying the hard drive is in use so it can't make the image. But nothing but disk utility is running.

i get the same problem ,can any one help me

thnks kman

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
There is also Carbon Copy Cloner

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RIDE said:
Could someone please walk me through the process of backing up my system using SuperDuper! ???
Start superduper, select your current drive in the left box and your external drive as the destination.
Hit copy now, enter your password and let it run.

Note: It will delete all data on the external partition before running the backup.

Reaction score
Note: It will delete all data on the external partition before running the backup.

So, does this mean anything on an external drive will be replaced? I'm new to the idea of external HD and SuperDuper, but my common sense tells me that one must partition the ext HD and keep the backups on that partition, so that when the next backup is performed, it replaces the old one?

I saw you can backup to another computer via network but I was scared to proceed 'cos it warned of erasing something in the process and I didn't want anything erased on my PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's right.

I have an external drive with 2 partitions - one for additional data and one solely for backups that is the same size as my internal drive. I backup all my data to that partition using superduper.

Reaction score
I personally like Superduper! for full bootable system backups.

It's free for full backups, you'll need to buy it for incrementals though.

super duper is painfully simple.

though it crashed a couple times on me, causing the whole system to freeze.

JRV

Reaction score
I'm using Norton Save & Restore for my PC now. It allows me to make a full image backup of my machine and copys it to my external harddrive. I can keep adding backups without having it wipe the drive clean everytime. And that allows me to store other things as well. Why does SuperDuper erase the external drive everytime? This seems like a waste to me. Basically I would have to buy an extra drive that could only be used for SuperDuper's backups?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
If you are still using the unpurchased version of SuperDuper, then it will wipe the drive before backups. If you purchased it, and have selected Incremental Backups, then it will add to the exsisting backup, any changes that you have made.

JRV

Reaction score
If you are still using the unpurchased version of SuperDuper, then it will wipe the drive before backups. If you purchased it, and have selected Incremental Backups, then it will add to the exsisting backup, any changes that you have made.

ok so then that won't keep erasing the drive and i can store other things on it as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Right, it won't keep erasing the drive. I would partition it though, before you started to add more to the drive. So you have a partition for your backup, and a partition for your other files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.