enought ram for Photoshop

D

davido

hello

I have a G3 with 400MHz and 256 MB RAM. In OS10.2.8, Photoshop 6 keeps quitting unexpectedly. However, when I use it in OS9 (not in Classic) there is never any problems. This problem doesn't seem related to the size of the files I am working on.
I have been told that OSX needs 128MB RAM just to operate and that I need more RAM. Does OSX really need that much more RAM than OS9 ? Could this be the problem causing Photoshop to crash in OSX even on files as small as 6 MB?

cheers
davido

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Yes, you need more ram in OS X. Doesn't Photoshop 6 startup in Classic? If so, that would cause even more memory usage.

In OS 9, do you have virtual memory turned on? When you have virtual memory on the operating system will use the hard drive as ram.

OP
D

davido

immdb said:
Yes, you need more ram in OS X. Doesn't Photoshop 6 startup in Classic? If so, that would cause even more memory usage.

In OS 9, do you have virtual memory turned on? When you have virtual memory on the operating system will use the hard drive as ram.

Yes, Photoshop 6 does start in Classic. I didn't realize that OSX/Classic sucked so much RAM. I am going to need more RAM.
You're right, I do have virtual memory turned on in OS9, that explains why I'm not getting any crashes in OS9. But, OSX has virtual memory (or it's equivalent), which doesn't appear to be kicking in? There doesn't seem to be any way to control this.

david

OP
C

Ciphex

i suggest obtaining Photoshop 7. or better yet... the new Photoshop CS (which is a beautiful app). both run in X and will run significantly better that PS 6 running under classic. but i still recommend @ least 512MB ram for any photoshop use that exceeds casual viewing and editing.
I have 896MB and wish for another 512.

~John

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.