Sad iBook referb experience

R

radarbob

First you must know that I am a Mac-fanatic of the first order and have used Macs since 1987...

Last year I bought a referbed iBook G3 900Mhz. W/in 6 months I sent it back for repair under warranty. Several months after that it died suddenly and my local mac repair guy said he would not fix it. Why? It needed a new logic board.

Seems the G3 iBooks about 700 - 900 mhz all had chronic logic board problems. Any replacement would be a referb board and who knows how long that would last. With or without a repair warranty this guy wouldn't fix it because there absolutely is no guarantee that it would last for any amount of time. In fact he said if someone gave me a board free, don't bother. There is simply no expectation that the thing would last.

So I guess the moral is beware of used G3 iBooks 700MHz thru 900Mhz (the end of the G3 line).

Oh, BTW, this would have been the 4th logic board on this machine!!!

Ironically my *original* iBook is still going after 7 years! Never went in for repairs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
Sorry to hear that. Yes, actually the 500- 900 mhz g3's had logic board issues. I belive it really depends on the board replacement. I use to have a 500mhz g3 ibook and its board got replaced 4 years ago and it was still great before I sold it a couple of months ago.

If you feel confident in messing with electronics, you could buy your own replacement board on ebay and install it yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i think you need to find a new repair guy. more specifically talk to apple and have them look at it
-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.