Online Apple Purchase and College Discount

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D : 15.4" : 2GB : 120GB : Glossy
I am getting closer to my total savings for a Macbook Pro with one problem. I am ready to buy but have just finished my schooling. I am no longer enrolled in college, but desperately need the college discount available in the apple store. Do any of you know what is required to "prove" your enrollment when making an online purchase, if any? I am able to get the the college discount store, and go all the way to purchase, but I'm afraid to pull the trigger because as of right now I am not currently enrolled, but a few weeks ago I was. Any help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
I think all that you have to do online to get a discount is select your school from a list.

Reaction score
I've been looking at thr pricing, and for me to get the student discount, I had to select my school from a list, and then enter my student number for validation. Coonsidering the lack of time it takes to do the check, it most likely just follows an algorithm to see if it would match or not. You can give it a try, and the worst that can happen is you're told that you can't get it. Otherwise, try just going into an on-campus store and purchasing it, as they may just assume you're still a student.

OP
Jamo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did not have to enter any student numbers when I selected my school. I got to the school store, placed items in cart, got to the checkout and stopped. I didn't know if AFTER that, after I paid for it if there was some check. But now, after talking to several people, I don't think so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
i didn't have to enter any student numbers

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you go into a school, they will ask for your student ID. As work the Apple Store, they want to see proof. I believe that the Apple Store on-line does check behind the scene.

The best way to get the discount, is have a friend who is a student purchase the item for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook; G4; 1.07 GHz; 512 MB; 30 gig; Combo Drive; Radeon 9200
a buddy of mine just graduated and was still able to get a macbook several months later. He called up and placed the order instead of doing it online... give that a try. Or call and ask if you can do it...just don't give your real name ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.1 GHZ
I ordered mine through our campus book store and got the discount. The final amount already with the $200 off, the clerk did ask for my student ID for enrollment verification.

Now, you may be lucky and they wont ask for your student verification, but if you do need the verification, then you can do what my friend did. He graduated and wanted to buy a MB with the student discount. He just signed up for ONE class, ordered the MB, and dropped it before the penalty date. Penalty date is where you still get full refund from a dropped class, usually you have the first week of class to decide on this.

Reaction score
I bought mine in person at the store. I told them the wrong school and they still gave it to me. They didn't ask for any school id or anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Rather than look for ways to "cheat the system" and lie about it to only save around $200... why not look into a refurbed machine? They are just as good as a brand new machine, come with the same exact warranty and AppleCare options AND you can save a heck of a lot more than the $200 you would from a College Discount.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I concur with D3v1L80Y

OP
Jamo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the input Devilboy, but I'm not looking for a hand-me-down, I don't want what someone else returned. Also, there are no refurbed C2D's to be had yet. I'm not looking to "cheat the system" as you've referred to it, I'm looking to get a discount on a Mac that I feel I deserve. I poured my cash into a school for four years and during that time I had no money for the Mac I wanted, now just after I get out, I have the jing, and want to spend it. Thanks for your concern though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz White MacBook, 1gb RAM, superdrive, 22in trinitron external monitor, 60gb internal, 300gb ext
my freind graduated from uni about a year and a half ago and over the summer she got the macbook/ipod combo for college students, she used her old number and had no problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 1.8GHz 1GB RAM, 60GB iPod Video, 30GB iPod video on loan to the better half :-)
I'm in the UK but my kid brother is studying at a Uni in the US. Does anyone know if I could buy a Mac on his behalf and get the student discount? I can transfer the money to him and get him to do it if this isn't possible but it would save hassle!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch iMac / Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 gHz / 1 GB RAM / 250gb hd / Black iPod Nano 2nd gen 8gb
My 65 year old grandmother could use the student discount. Just pick a random school. I don't know why Apple hasn't made a better system to prevent people from abusing it, but 200 dollars is still a lot of money.

I saved well over 200 dollars from my last purchase from the Apple Store. It pretty much covers your taxes which can be pretty hefty in some states.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.