WiFi file sharing between Macs is incredibly slow - when it works

Reaction score
I've got a new 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz machine that I've setup to share files with my 12" PowerBook G4 1.5GHz. Both machines are wirelessly connected to a common WiFi router. In both machines I went to System Preferences -> Sharing and then enabled Personal File Sharing.

From the iMac, when I click on network I can see a link to the PowerBook and I can log in as myself (a Registered User). I can manipulate files without issue. Copying files form the PB to the iMac, however, is exceptionally slow. A 675MB file took >25 minutes to copy from one machine to the other. Shouldn't I be getting something much faster?

From the PowerBook Network window I can see a link to the iMac but when I click on it a window titles, "AFP Connection Status" pops up and in it it says, "Looking up blah, blah IP address. Eventually I get a "Connection failed: The server may not exist or is not operational..."

If anybody has any advice as to where I should start with the problems I'd greatly appreciate it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
As far as I'm aware it's never suggested to Stream Files Wirelessly Twice... that appears to be what you're doing. You would notice a marked improvement if you connected one to an Ethernet Port.

Also considering you're using the same Wireless Router, I assume this would degrade the power of the wireless signal.

OP
D
Reaction score
Aha, bingo on #1! I connected the iMac to the router via an ethernet cable and a couple hundred MB streams in under 2 minutes - AWESOME. Thanks!

The other issue remains however.

One down, one to go. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Sorry I missed your second problem.... I had a slightly similar experience when connecting to a Windows PC.

It wouldn't find server (Windows PC) and would come up connection failed, I just assigned my Computers an Permanent IP Address on my Router and everything seems fine now.

I don't know if this could benefit your situation but it might be worth looking into the fact whether your Powerbook is looking for a Certain IP when in actual fact your MacBook is being assigned a different IP every time it connects to your Network.

So your Powerbook is looking for a Computer attached to an certain Ip that is no longer assigned.

Hope that Helps, might be worth a try.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.