Media Center for a Mac?

Reaction score
I am considering swithching to either a MacBook or a MacBook Pro from my Dell PC. I have read a lot about Mac's and they sound really great; much better than my PC. I was wondering, is there anything similar to Microsoft's Media Center Edition that works on a Mac? I would like to be able to watch and save TV programs on it if I could. If there is no such thing, no big deal, just would be nice.
Thanks, Connor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
There is no integrated software like Media Centre on XP or Vista for that matter. The only similar software would be Front Row but this doesn't enable you to Watch TV only Watch DVDs, Play Videos, View Photo's and Play Music.

There is an accessory to watch TV on you Mac, no experience using it myself as I have Media Center XP but it might be worth taking a look.

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetvhybridna

Might be worth checking the Apple US Site aswell for alternative products also.

Hope that Helps

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
iTV when is comes out, may have what you are looking for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah I currently use El Gato's EyeTV, the 250 model, which I am really liking. iTV looks very cool whenever Apple is going to release it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
All I do is have my G4 powermac hooked up to my 21" widescreen monitor as my "TV".. Also with a set of Logitech Z-3e speaker's in my living room. I play movies, music, pics, anything media-related... I just need to get an audio-KVM so I can KVM my xbox 360 and my G4 to my monitor as my media center/living room.

Reaction score
iTV does nothing he wants to achieve.

To watch TV on a mac, you'll need Elgato EyeTV (which is not Apple iTV).

But frankly, resolutions aren't a great thing on any computer screen, so I personally suggest sticking to a TV set. Obviously, that costs a lot more with HD these days.

So Elgato is your solution. iTV is for streaming content to a TV from your Mac's hard drive. Front Row which comes on macs is good for watching the content on your PC.

Since you're looking at a laptop, a TV-card isn't an option for you. But Elgato is, and with it, you can use Front Row, OR the EyeTV software, OR MediaCentral (google it).

cheers
yogi

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.